> I was a little astonished that there is no book etc. available, since the
> language is now also a couple of years out there.

These things take time, effort, and expertise. The intersection of
people will all these things is small. So there’s no book (yet!)
because nobody happens to have written one. Though Factor does have a
chapter in the upcoming “Seven More Languages in Seven Weeks”[1].

> My question would be is Factor still in active development (bug fixes) and
> is still a  1.0 release planned?

It certainly appears alive. A majority of the recent commits have been
made by Doug Coleman (erg), John Benediktsson (mrjbq7), and Björn
Lindqvist (bjourne). Progress is being made on the 0.97 release[2],
but disappointingly the release after 0.99 is being called 0.100. Will
it ever end?

[1]: http://pragprog.com/book/7lang/seven-more-languages-in-seven-weeks
[2]: https://github.com/slavapestov/factor/milestones