Doug said
"I'd rather move words to core/ before releasing if we know they belong there."
I think they belong there :) So let's do this ?

We can move the sequence>hashtable stuff to
core/hashtables/hashtables.factor next to associate ?

We can change assoc-combine to
 : assoc-combine ( seq -- union )
-    H{ } clone [ assoc-union! ] reduce ;
+    [ f ] [ unclip clone swap [ assoc-union! ] reduce ] if-empty ;
Then we need to change the callers who could have an empty seq, or who
need the output to be a hashtable even though the sequence doesn't
have hashtables

Maybe also add hashtable-combine to be the old assoc-combine and use
it where the input seq could be empty, or the elements were not
hashtabes ?

Also maybe change assoc-refine ?
+: assoc-intersect! ( assoc1 assoc2 -- intersection )
+    swap [ nip key? ] curry assoc-filter! ;
+
: assoc-refine ( seq -- assoc )
-    [ f ] [ [ ] [ assoc-intersect ] map-reduce ] if-empty ;
+    [ f ] [ unclip clone swap [ assoc-intersect! ] reduce ] if-empty ;

Jon