It's probably to set the default / initial size of the gadget.

Some gadgets do it by overriding the ``pref-dim*`` word like so:

    ./extra/tetris/tetris.factor:M: tetris-gadget pref-dim* drop { 200 400
} ;

And a few do it by setting it like that... I think the ``pref-dim*``
approach was the intended approach, but even the ``MAIN-WINDOW:`` word sets
the pref-dim slot on the world for its initial size (and the world is a
track gadget...).

I kind of think a constructor type word should be able to just do { 200 400
} >>pref-dim and then later that slot can be changed dynamically, etc...
dunno.