> The Development of Scripts in India
>
> Until the discovery of the Indus Valley Civilization in 1920,
ancient
> India seemingly had two main scripts in which languages were
written,
> Brahmi and Kharosti. The Brahmi script developed under Semitic
> influence around 7th c. BC, and was originally written from right
> left. The Kharosti script came into being during the 5th c. BC in
> northwest India which was under Persian rule. Although the origin
of
> the Brahmi script is uncertain, the Kharosti script is commonly
> accepted as a direct descendant from the Aramaic alphabet. The
> direction of writing in the Kharosti script is as in Aramaic, from
> right to left, and there is also a likeness of many signs having
> similar phonetic value.
>
>   In the later centuries of its existence, Brahmi gave rise to
eight
> varieties of scripts. Three of them - the early and late Mauryas
and
> the Sunga - became the prototypes of the scripts in northern India
in
> the 1st c. BC and AD. Out of these developed the Gupta writing
which
> was employed from the 4th to the 6th c. AD.
>
>   The Siddhamatrka script developed during the 6th c. AD from the
> western branch of the eastern Gupta character. The Siddhamatrka
became
> the ancestor of the Nagari script which is used for Sanskrit
today. The
> Nagari developed in the 7th to 9th c. AD, and has remained, since
the
> 7th to 9th centuries, essentially unaltered.
>
>   However, certain other factors need to be considered to get the
> complete picture of script development in India. In 1920
archaeologists
> announced the discovery of extensive urban ruins in the Indus
Valley
> which pre-dated the earliest literary sources and which caused
scholars
> working on ancient texts to re-examine their views on the
different
> phases of Indian culture. The Rig Veda which speaks in such
derogatory
> terms of the enemies subdued by the Aryan tribes, gives the
impression
> that they were all savage barbarians. The Brahmins for centuries
have
> degraded the original inhabitants of India with the intention of
self
> elevation, preservation and oppression. These ancient dwellers in
India
> were Dravidian, and in fact, their culture had developed a highly
> sophisticated way of life which compares favorably with that of
> contemporary urban civilizations in Egypt and Mesopotamia.
>
>   The extensive excavations carried out at the two principal city
sites,
> Harappa and Mohenjo-Daro, both situated in the Indus basin,
indicates
> that this Dravidian culture was well established by about 2500
B.C.,
> and subsequent discoveries have revealed that it covered most of
the
> Lower Indus Valley. What we know of this ancient civilization is
> derived almost exclusively from archaeological data since every
attempt
> to decipher the script used by these people has failed so far.
Recent
> analyses of the order of the signs on the inscriptions have led
several
> scholars to the view that the language is not of the Indo-European
> family, nor is it close to the Sumerians, Hurrians, or Elamite,
nor can
> it be related to the structure of the Munda languages of modern
India.
> If it is related to any modern language family it appears to be
> Dravidian akin to Old Tamil, presently spoken throughout the
southern
> part of the Indian Peninsula.
>
>   What this points to is the existence of a system of writing far
more
> ancient than what was originally considered. For instance when the
> Indian scripts are grouped, the southern scripts form a class of
their
> own. The Grantha alphabet, which belongs to the writing system of
> southern India, developed in the 5th c. AD and was mainly used to
write
> Sanskrit. Inscriptions in Early Grantha, dating from the 5th to
6th c.
> AD are on copper plates and stone monuments from the kingdom of
the
> Pallavas near Chennai (Madras).
>
>   The influx of foreign invaders through the northwest over the
> centuries, forced the Dravidians, the original inhabitants of
India,
> south. Scholars have indicated that the south has been the gateway
for
> religious and cultural developments in India. Originally Grantha
was
> used for writing Sanskrit only, and Sanskrit was later
transliterated
> with Nagiri after the 7th c. AD. Scholars over the years have
indicated
> that many Hindu writings have been tampered with, and certainly
this
> could have happened during the transliteration process. The later
> varieties of the Grantha script were used to write a number of
> Dravidian Languages, and the modern Tamil script certainly seems
to be
> derived from Grantha.
>
>   The bibliographical evidences indicate that the Vedas are
written in
> the Grantha and Nagari scripts, and according to tradition Veda
Vyasa,
> a Dravidian, compiled and wrote the Vedas. The Grantha script
belongs
> to the southern group of scripts and Veda Vyasa being a Dravidian
would
> certainly have used it. Since the earliest evidence for Grantha is
only
> in the 5th c. AD, the Vedas were written rather late.
>
>   Another important fact is brought out in the account of the
religion,
> philosophy, literature, geography, chronology, astronomy, customs,
laws
> and astrology of India about AD 1030 by Alberuni (edited by Dr.
Edward
> C. Sachau). He states that,
>
> "The Indian scribes are careless, and do not take  pains to
produce
> correct and well-collated copies. In consequence, the highest
results
> of  the author's mental development are lost by their negligence,
and
> his book becomes already  in the first or second copy so full of
> faults, that the text appears as something entirely  new, which
neither
> a scholar nor one familiar with the subject, whether Hindu or
Muslim,
> could any longer understand. It will sufficiently illustrate the
matter
> if we tell the  reader that we have sometimes written down a word
from
> the mouth of Hindus, taking the  greatest pains to fix its
> pronunciation, and that afterwards when we repeated it to them,
they
> had great difficulty in recognising it."
>
> This is a clear opposite to Yuan Chwang's time in the 7th c AD,
when
> this young Chinese Buddhist scholar came to India in search of
> authentic sacred books which he accomplished. However, scholars
> indicate that the same is not true with early Tamil classics like
the
> Sangam literature (3rd c. BC - 3rd c. AD) which are remarkably
helpful
> in the reconstruction of history (K.K.Pillai, Tamil Literature as
> Source Material for History - Journal of Institute for Asian
Studies).

> The first epigraphic evidence of Sanskrit is seen in 150 AD and
this
> inscription is in the Brahmi script.
>
>   Extracted from the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1982.

Iteresting analysis of writing . Thanks for posting . I will keep it
Thanks.

Unfortunately , people spoke langauges and had cultures long before
they were written down, and the general concensus among scholars is
that there was a proto Indo Europena language which in terms of the
words it used Sankrit seems to have the closest relative words. This
Indo-European langauge has no proof of its existence, only
conjecture.  Whatever Sanskrit came from, it is close to it. Even
English is just a dialect of a more ancient Sankrit like langiuage.

Even though Dravidian languages are based on a different model than
Sanskrit there are thirty to seventy per cent Sanskrit words in
south Indian languages like Telugu and Tamil, which is much higher
percentage than north Indian languages like Hindi. In addition both
north and south Indian languages have a similar construction and
phraseology that links them close together, which European languages
often do not share. This has caused some linguists even to propose
that Hindi was a Dravidian language. In short, the language compart-
ments, like the racial ones, are not as rigid as has been thought.

"In fact if we examine the oldest Vedic Sanskrit, we find similar
sounds to Dravidian languages (the cerebral letters, for example),
which are not present in other Indo-European tongues. This shows
either that there were already Drvidians in the same region as the
Vedic people, and part of the same culture with them, or that
Dravidian languages could also have been early off-shoots of
Sanskrit, which was the theory of the modern rishi, Sri Aurobindo."
David Frawley:
http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/aryan/aryan_frawley_1.h
tml