From: cardemaister [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 11:26 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: New Vedic Translation?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mark robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<snip>

> --------------------
>

> Cardemaister,
>

> Thank-you for the alternate translation. Is it yours?

Oh no, I forgot to mention it's Ralph T.H. Griffith's:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/rigveda/rvi09.htm

> The original you kindly supplied looks different than the
> original supplied on the site. For example, you supplied:
>
> vR^iShaa\'NaM\` vR^iSha\'bhir ya\`taM su\`nvanti\` soma\`m
> adri\'bhiH  |\\
>   du\`hanti\` shakma\'naa\` payaH\'  || \EN{9}{034}{03} \\
>

> But the site supplied:
>
> v&;a?[</ v&;?i-rœ y/t< su/NviNt/ saem/m! AiÔ?i-> ,
> Ê/hiNt/ zKm?na/ py>? . 9 -034 -03

It seems to me that's encoded devanaagarii (the script Sanskrit
usually is written in) , or something.
I guess you need to have some Sanskrit font to see it in DN.

> Of course I know nothing of Sanskrit, so maybe they are the same.
>

> Anyway, I suppose that's less important than my main interest in
> the real meaning - What the heck do you suppose they were
> crushing / pressing? Yes, I know it was Soma, but how does that
> jive with something that MMY says is internal? So, then my
> question becomes – If Soma was external, what was its identity?

In my understanding no-one knows for sure. For instance fly agaric
(amanita muscaria) has been suggested, but I don't think that's
very likely.

> -Mark

Cardemaister,

I have read Griffith’s translation before. This one seems a bit clearer.

But both translations clearly refer to an external Soma that is consumed. And both appear to regard this external Soma as central to everything Vedic. (The chronology of the Rig Veda would also suggest this.) I find it curious that amongst supposed students of Vedic literature most of their energy is dedicated to far less central parts, whereby its core is essentially ignored. Imagine a study of Christianity that ignored Jesus, his plan of salvation, and the Eucharist!

If you believe in an external Soma and that no one knows its real identity, is it not worthy of continued investigation? What, in the Vedic world, would be more worthy of knowing?

-Mark