--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "mark robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   _____

> One of the articles in the Journal of Vedic studies attempted to
> prove, thru this detailed
> textual analysis, that soma was in fact the ephedra plant. The
> real reason that the Vedic
> rishis were so awake was because they were quaffing down ephedra!
> The image was just
> hilarious of these dreadlocked rishis, speeding there brains out
> like undergrads cramming
> for midterms.
>
> -V.
>

> ----------------
>
> Ahhh, the real definition of "awakening".

-------------

There is more than textual pointers that Euphedra (and cannabis) were
used in ancient rites -- that involved lots of mixing, grinding and
straining (echos of 9th mandala -- and many other things) . While this
does not prove any link to soma, it is interesting.

Ephedra herb contains various neurotransmitters or chemicals that
effect neurotransmitters:  0.5-2 percent alkaloids, including
ephedrine; pseudophedrine; norephedrine; norpseudoephedrine; and
methylephedrine. If Soma or related substances have a physical
structure, its not a stretch to hypothesize that it enables some
special links between neurons, creating a special functioning of the
nervous system to enhance or enable higher states. Thus, its not
inconsistent, though by no means a proof, that a neuro-transmitter
rich substance, when prepared in special ways, with other substances,
could be a part of such higher states neuro-transmitter cocktail .

The following was hidden in the large multi-link dump I provided
yesterday -- which I doubt anyone waded thru due to its size. (Sorry
it was so big, but lots of interesting material)

Here the excerpt on euphedra:

http://www.huxley.net/soma/

archaeological evidence emerged from Russian excavations in the
Kara Kum desert of Turkmenistan... known to the ancients as Margiana,
the Russians uncovered a number of sites of monumental architecture
dating from the second millennium BC. One of these sites, Gonur South,
consists of a fortified complex of buildings, a number of private
dwellings and a
fort. Within this complex there is also a large shrine (known to have
been used as a sacred fire temple) consisting of two parts: one
clearly used for public worship and the other, hidden from the gaze of
the multitude, an inner sanctum of the priesthood. In one of these
private rooms were found three ceramic bowls. Analysis of samples
found in these vessels by Professor Mayer-Melikyan revealed the traces
of both cannabis and Ephedra.

Clearly both these psychoactive
substances had been used in conjunction in the making of
hallucinogenic drinks. In the adjoining room of the same inner sanctum
were found ten ceramic pot-stands which appear to have been used in
conjunction with strainers designed to separate the juices from the
twigs, stems and leaves of the plants. In another room at the other
end of the shrine a basin containing remains of a considerable
quantity of cannabis was discovered, as well as a number of pottery
stands and strainers that have also been associated with making
psychoactive beverages.

The excavators believe that, given the considerable size
of the fortress, the shrine may well have been dispensing the
entheogenic drink to worshippers from all over Margiana in the first
half of the second millennium BC....

These sites also yielded up other artefacts that gave
tantalising clues as to what sort of rituals took place in these
Bronze Age shrines. Designs on a cylinder seal depict a drummer, an
acrobat and two men with the heads of monkeys.

... the discovery in the shrines of the remains of opium, cannabis and
Ephedra in ritual vessels that are dated between 2000-1000 BC show
that soma in its Iranian form haoma may be considered as a composite
psychoactive substance comprising of cannabis and Ephedra in one
instance and opium and Ephedra in another. This identification of
haoma has an archaeological background which neither the fly-agaric
nor Syrian rue can match, unless such evidence comes to light. Despite
the considerable efforts made to discover the botanical identity of
soma, it may be that this is one mystery that will never be
satisfactorily solved.