> Hi Anon:
>
> On Mar 20, 2005, at 5:05 PM, anonymousff wrote:
>
> > Just curious -- do you include all drugs as tejas or prana or
ojas) draining?

> >  For example:
> >
> >  - marijuana / ganja and its derivatives - hash, drinks or
> > formulations made out if it, appear to have a long history in some
> > yogic / sadhu / ayruvedic circles and traditions. Shiva is
> > traditionally held as lord of ganja. With Shiva being so intimate to
> > tantric and agamic traditions, and given the long association of ganja
> > with yogic / sadhu and ayurvedic traditions, do you view ganja as
> > decreasing tejas, ojas, prana?

> Increases vata if smoked, best taken as bhang in almond milk. It is
> believed that marijuana reduces one of the the subtle pranas (forget
> which one). If prepared properly, it can be smoked. Also helpful to
> know its mantra.

Is that the Aghora mantra? Or something esle?

aghorebhyo `tha ghorebhyo
aghoraghoratarebhyah
sarvtah sharvah sarvebhyo
namas te rudra rupebhyo

I found a site that indicates the whole cultivation process can be
very ritualistic.

http://www.geocities.com/sarabhanga/bhang.html

 Select seeds, which have been kept in the mouth of a snake, are sown
during an auspicious day during the waxing moon in July. The person
who has performed the appropriate rites (Nyasa and Acamana) must face
North or East and meditate. Water mixed with milk is sprinkled over
the seeds. When they begin to sprout, they are sprinkled with water
mixed with milk. When they sprout, water mixed with clarified butter
is used. When the first leaves appear, the plants are sprinkled with
salt water. During flowering, they are sprinkled with water mixed with
alcohol and meat, then with water and honey, and finally with water
and alcohol. Four rites are performed at the harvest (Stepana, Sevana,
Tantubandhana, and Lavana). The third rite (Tantubandhana ~ tying the
tree with fibers) should be performed on the 14th day of the waning
moon in Phalguna (February-March) by a person who has bathed, dressed
in clean clothing, applied perfume and sacrificed meat and alcohol to
Bhairava. The plants are tied with red, yellow, black and white
threads. Then the Aghora Mantra should be recited for a week. On the
fifth day of the waxing moon, the cultivator should meditate on the
Bhang and imagine her as a deity. Finally, the mature plant is
harvested while again reciting the Aghora Mantra.  ~ [Robert A. Nelson]

*******

If cultivated and used in ritualistic manner, as part of ones
spiritual path, to gain spiritual benefit, per below, I wonder if
anyone has claimed religious freedom to use it.

******

Bhang is the Joygiver, the Skyflier, the Heavenly Guide, the Poor
Man's Heaven, the Soother of Grief...

No god or man is as good as the religious drinker of Bhang. The
students of scriptures at Benares are given Bhang before they sit to
study. At Benares, Ujjain and other holy places, Yogis, Bairagis and
Sanyasis take deep draughts of Bhang that they may center their
thoughts on the Eternal...

The supporting power of Bhang has brought many a Hindu family safe
through the miseries of famine.

To forbid or even seriously to restrict the use of so holy and
gracious an herb as the hemp would cause widespread suffering and
annoyance and to large bands of worshipped ascetics, deep-seated
anger. It would rob the people of a solace in discomfort, of a cure in
sickness, of a guardian whose gracious protection saves them from the
attacks of evil influences...