--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, rgjcm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Seattle Times
>
> As governor, Bush signed right-to-die law
>
> WASHINGTON — The federal law that President Bush signed early
> yesterday in an effort to prolong Terri Schiavo's life appears to
> contradict a right-to-die law that he signed as Texas governor,
> prompting cries of hypocrisy from congressional Democrats and some
> bioethicists.
>
> In 1999, then-Gov. Bush signed the Advance Directives Act, which
> lets a patient's surrogate make life-ending decisions on his or her
> behalf. The measure also allows Texas hospitals to disconnect
> patients from life-sustaining systems if a physician, in
> consultation with a hospital bioethics committee, concludes that the
> patient's condition is hopeless.
>
> Bioethicists familiar with the Texas law said yesterday that if the
> Schiavo case had occurred in Texas, her husband would be the legal
> decision-maker and, because he and her doctors agreed that she had
> no hope of recovery, her feeding tube would be disconnected.
>
> While Congress and the White House were considering legislation in
> the Schiavo case, the Texas law faced its first high-profile test.
> With the permission of a judge, a Houston hospital cut off life
> support for a badly deformed 6-month-old baby last week against his
> mother's wishes after doctors determined that continuing life
> support would be futile. The baby died almost immediately.
>
> "The mother down in Texas must be reading the Schiavo case and
> scratching her head," said Dr. Howard Brody, the director of
> Michigan State University's Center for Ethics and Humanities in the
> Life Sciences. "This does appear to be a contradiction."
+++++ Definitely a contradiction-
      The case, being such a high profile one and putting so much
pressure on, he had to bend the other way.
      It looks like a last gasp of the will of the people having some
affect although I am not sure at this point it will be in time.
      The government used to be a reflection of the will of the people
and by the people etc. but somewhere along the line it has become
reversed.  N.