Already had naturally figured this out. In reality from a purely biological standpoint all human traits are merely for disseminating genes. Therefore all traits are merely deceptive one way or another to keep us functioning as good gene propigators. Sex. It's all about sex. Anyone who doesn't think so just ain't gettin any.  Yogis are the gray matter of the gene pool, studs, the organ, in between are the other entire array of genetic characters.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 8:26 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Deceiving ourselves

A while back, Akasha and I kicked around
the topic of whether people who have deceived
themselves into believing bullshit are actually
liars, or if their belief in their position changes
the case. Well, yesterday the Boston Globe ran
a profile of evolutionary biologist Robert Trivers,
whose work addresses self-deception from the
point of view of its value in propagating genes.
So I thought this post might interest Akasha and
L B and maybe a few others.

A sidebar worded the thesis this way:

"Whether it's convincing a predator that you're a leaf or fooling another bird into
raising your young, deceit is an evolutionary strategy with a long and innovative
history. But as evolution selects for better and better cheaters, it should also select
for better and better cheating detectors. For example, Trivers argues, humans
might have evolved to detect the sort of nervous tics that betray a lie. But there's a
counter-strategy: self-deception. If we don't know we're lying, then we won't act
like we're lying, and are more likely to get away with it."

More, from the article:

"The book on deceit and self-deception that he's now starting grows out of a brief
but widely cited passage from his introduction to Dawkins's ''The Selfish Gene.'' If
deceit, he wrote, ''is fundamental to animal communication, then there must be
strong selection to spot deception and this ought, in turn, to select for a degree of
self-deception, rendering some facts and motives unconscious so as not to betray-
by the subtle signs of self-knowledge-the deception being practiced.'' Thus, the
idea that the brain evolved to produce ''ever more accurate images of the world
must be a very naive view of mental evolution.'' We've evolved, in other words, to
delude ourselves so as better to fool others-all in the service of the great game of
propagating our genes."

Trivers speaks: ''It's a critical topic. How many pretenders to the throne have there
been? Marx had a theory of self-deception, Freud thought he had the topic
knocked. So there've been a lot of major-domos in there. None of that [expletive]
survived the test of time, so it's a huge opportunity.''

The full article is "The evolutionary revolutionary: In the 1970s, Robert Trivers
wrote a series of papers that transformed evolutionary biology. Then he all but
disappeared. Now he's back—and ready to rumble."

By Drake Bennett  |  March 27, 2005

http://tinyurl.com/457kj

- Patrick Gillam