On Apr 3, 2005, at 3:23 PM, akasha_108 wrote:

> And I have googled, but cannot find what you originally stated as well
> established in scientific cirlces: paraphrasing -- not a pretty
> picture -- the PET scans of regular cannabus users -- scans showing
> substantal damage, compared against a well established baseline.

Here's a nice new study which is interesting because while positron
emission tomography she very detailed and subtle details of brain
perfusion, sonography is very good at showing gross blood flow--and
even on that they could tell. Interesting later ramification of what
we've learned from the early PET studies.

http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/showNews.jhtml;
jsessionid=0T0501F5B5ESUQSNDBCCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=60402729

Heavy marijuana use impairs cerebral blood flow
  Chronic pot smokers may experience problems with thinking or
remembering even after abstaining, and decreased cerebral blood flow
may be the cause, according to researchers at the National Institute on
Drug Abuse.

  "Marijuana users who smoke 11 joints or more per week have deficits in
cerebral blood flow. In heavier users, these deficits persist for at
least a month," said lead author Ronald I. Herning, Ph.D., a research
scientist at the institute.

  These changes in the brain observed early during the quitting process
may explain previous reports of cognitive deficits observed in
marijuana users, he said.

  Herning and colleagues used transcranial Doppler sonography to measure
flow velocity in the anterior and middle cerebral arteries in a study
published in the February issue of Neurology.

  Four groups underwent sonography monitoring during a month of
abstinence:
        •        11 light users who had smoked about 11 joints a week
        •        23 moderate users who had smoked nearly 44 joints a week
        •        20 heavy users who had smoked about 130 joints a week
        •        18 controls
  Researchers established a baseline by measuring blood flow for all
subjects within three days of admission and then again at 28 to 30 days
after monitored abstinence. All noncontrol subjects were observed on an
inpatient basis.

  During the first round of sonography, both mean and systolic blood
velocities for the left and middle cerebral arteries were higher in the
marijuana-using subjects compared with controls. Right and left
anterior cerebral arteries in the marijuana groups exhibited higher
systolic blood velocities compared with controls. The pulsatility index
(PI), which measures the amount of resistance to blood flow, was higher
for both sets of cerebral arteries in the marijuana users as well.

  For both sets of middle and anterior cerebral arteries, blood
velocities were not significantly different among the three
marijuana-using groups. After a month of abstinence, however, light to
moderate marijuana users experienced a significant improvement in PI
values and systolic velocity, while the heavy users showed no
improvement.

  "The PI values of about 1.00 that we observed in the heavy users are
similar to those found in patients with chronic hypertension and might
put marijuana users at risk for small vessel disease," Herning said.

  Because the study observed abstinence for only a month, further
research is needed to determine whether the blood flow deficits in
heavy users are permanent, he said.