> Bob,
>
> Do you have any real idea of what you're talking about?  What kind
of
> personal experience do you have with anti-depressants? Just because
> something can be overprescribed doesn't mean it doesn't have
> considerable value for many who get the correct dosage.
>
> And just because someone flips out while on it and kills several
while
> another 'only' kills one while on who knows what, doesn't mean
much.
> There are millions who take prozac and other anti-depressants
> responsibly who don't flip out.
>

> Sal

**********

The whole purpose of scientific research is to avoid having to rely
on anecdotal evidence. I've never taken any anti-depressants, but if
I had, the research clearly indicates that any positive results are
only a function of the placebo effect:

http://www.journals.apa.org/prevention/volume5/pre0050023a.html

Your comments about only over-prescribed anti-depressants being
responsible for either lack of results or negative results is not
supported by the research. The fact is, talk therapy is just as
effective as anti-depressants for making people feel better
temporarily (in the long run, only transcending thru TM could
possibly make one feel better -- depression means a lack of
experience of one's nature, bliss consciousness):

ttp://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/2296.html

Cognitive therapy as potent as antidepressants: study
Posted on : 2005-04-05| Author : Steve Walters
News Category : Health

Cognitive therapy can help as much as antidepressants
in alleviating initial chronic depression and provide
longer lasting effects, a study has found.

The study by University of Pennsylvania and Vanderbilt
University researchers raises doubts about the
guidelines by American Psychiatric Association, which
stipulate that antidepressant medicines are required
to treat moderate to severe depression.

"On the whole, these findings do not support the
current American Psychiatric Association guidelines,
based on the Treatment of Depression Collaborative
Research Program (TDCRP), that most patients require
medication," the report said, while adding that
cognitive therapy could be as `effective as
medications, even among more severely depressed
outpatients, at least when provided by experienced
cognitive therapists'.

In a study of 240 patients suffering from moderate to
severe depression, researchers divided these patients
into three groups. While 60 of them were administered
cognitive therapy, 120 received antidepressant
medication, and 60 others were given a placebo.

After being given the treatment for eight weeks,
researchers found that 50 per cent of those who were
given medication responded positively as against 43
per cent of those in the cognitive therapy group. The
response in the placebo group was about 25 per cent.
Sixteen weeks into the treatment, response rates of
those in the cognitive therapy and the medication
group were on par at 58 per cent. While those
receiving medication showed a remission rate of 46 per
cent, only 40 per cent of those who underwent
cognitive therapy lapsed back into depression.

Said Penn's Department of Psychology's Robert
DeRubeis, who authored the study, "We believe that
cognitive therapy might have more lasting effects
because it equips patients with the tools they need to
learn how to manage their problems and emotions." He
added that `pharmaceuticals, though effective, offer
no long-term cure for the symptoms of depression'.
According to DeRubeis, for many patients, cognitive
therapy offers a better form of treatment.

However, the effectiveness of cognitive therapy
depends entirely on the experience and expertise of
the therapists administering it. The findings of the
study have been published in the latest issue of
Archives of General Psychiatry.