> On Apr 7, 2005, at 6:53 PM, Bob Brigante wrote:
>
> > If the Himalaya honey folks you cite were not heating it improperly,
> > they would have called it "raw", as USDA labelling regs require.
>
> Yeah well it's not packaged here Bob. They refer to it as "virgin".
> Like I said, it's well known your should not heat honey beyond a
> certain point in Ayurveda. It is traditional. And this is prepared by
> traditional methods. The TM people love to tout every miniscule
> property of their products so they can justify their overpricing
> scheme. It's more spin.
>
> If you're so worried, I would write them. They responded quickly to
all
> my enquiries.

***************

Food that is coming into the USA has to meet USDA labeling
requirements, and since the Himalaya honey web site is in English,
obviously they are marketing it here and shipping it here (as well as
other, smaller English-speaking markets). "Virgin" is not a meaningful
word, "raw" is according to USDA standards, and they're not saying it
is raw, or at least unheated.

Of course, the MAPI honey is ludicrously overpriced at $50/lb, but
that's not the issue, is it? I can't read all the label on the MAPI
honey, but it clearly says "unheated," which is what "raw" means:

http://www.maharishihoney.com/shop/250gb.html

Regardless of what Himalaya honey says to you, I would not buy any
honey that was not clearly labeled "raw" or unheated, but you can buy
any honey you want until the Global Country takes over and forces you
to buy the expensive spread.

If you're in Fairfield, go to Everybody's, and you'll see that their
buckets of bulk honey are labeled "raw," and only a couple bucks a
pound unlike the magical MAPI stuff.