On Apr 18, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

> I've heard a deity may present Himself or Herself
> when the seeker is ripe. But it's not part of Maharishi's
> teaching to tie the deity to the mantra, and I haven't
> studied other systems.

Well, you could probably still get that--and all the knowledge of
mantra if you would read the various texts. As we've said on this group
many times, they have a great consonance with the experience you
already have, so they just unfold inside you. They're like fractals:
the deeper you look, the more there is to see.

>  In short, it's a nice story, but
> not one I've cherished.
>
> Further, no one I've talked to has described such a
> phenomenon happening to them, and experiences
> being what they are these days, I'm less interested
> in theory than I am in the experiences of my peers.

Well I know of several people who it happened to while at MIU. One
became obsessed with cleaning his room. He cleaned it once. Then a
second time. And a third time. Then, in a huge orb of light-energy it
entered his space.

He "met" his devata.

> By the way, does a deity differ from a devata?

It does not, but devata could mean something "less" than a deity,
depending on the context.

>> Or it might be used purify the subtle bodies. Or
>> produce and trap soma behind the "tenth door". Or simply transcend to
>> deeper and deeper levels.
>>
>> What do you think is the energy that allows siddhis to manifest?
>
> If my siddhis manifested anything, I might be able to answer!
>
> But I see your point. It helps.
>
> To me, shakti sounds like the subtle, potent energy
> that hums just above the emptiness of pure consciousness.
> Restful alertness, as it were. Am I close?

a famous text on mantras says: "the secret of the mantras is their
identity of the syllabic measure with the universal energy."

Shakti collapses when consciousness becomes the point (e.g. the famous
MMY motto "the impulses of creative intelligence..."). She emerges on
the 'outward stroke'. Shakti in the transcendent is maha-shakti. It's
indescribable.

It sounds like someone needs to read a good book on mantra
shastra...then you will immediately "re-cognize" much of it.