The elevation of the catholic church's chief modern day inquisitor and
protector of conservative dogma (and a german no less) has thrown
socially progessive and spiritually oriented catholics into a quandry
as they dread the direction in which the church will inevitably move
now, but feel great pain in distancing themselves from their lifelong
heartfelt religion.  The quote below is an anonymous one I found
online which encourages catholics to not stay attached - I think it
has interesting parallels with what many of us went thru with the tmo:

"I can understand your sense that you cannot leave the church. But I
know from experience that it is just that--a sense. You have felt the
presence of God at Mass? I have too. You can feel it elsewhere but you
cannot know that until you look. The gospels speak to you? I know you
don't seriously think they speak only though the Catholic Church. As
for the family/mother analogy, it simply isn't a good one. There is no
biology here no matter how like that it may feel. Still, it can be
valid in this way: If the church is your mother you have been, still
are, and if the events of today are any indication, will increasingly
be abused by her. Mentally, spiritually, and perhaps even physically
abused. I feel for the pain I see in your writing. I have felt it too.
But you have to take the advice you would give to anyone in an abusive
relationship: get out. It may be difficult, seem almost impossible,
but that is the bottom line. I got out myself. I can assure you there
is a rich and rewarding spiritual life to be had elsewhere. Religion
is a choice. Please, for your own sake, choose a non-abusive one."