Thanks Tom & Cindy for your reposting of sutras 52-55 I had read it before & recalled it but this re-- posting has now allowed me to print it out & keep it with my book on the sutras again thanks to you both, I am sure I speak for many others as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: tomandcindytraynoratfairfieldlis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:02:04 -0000
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Why Samyama won't lead to CC; was Real Advaita,

Peter Sutphen writes:
I'm waiting for Tom to weigh in on this debate! The
sutras are not practiced to primarily bring about a
siddhi.

Tom T responds:
OK sucked in again but with 200 new lurkers there must be a few who
have not heard me expound on this. It is my cognition that the entire
Sidhi practice as taught by MMY was a wonderful use of smoke and
mirrors.  The real purpose of the Sidhis practice was two fold. First
it was to keep the ego busy thinking it would actually learn how to
fly and all that other stuff. The second was to learn how to get the
mind to actually think at that subtle level.  The real purpose was to
get every one to innocently practice sutra 52 (Alistair Shearer
version as recommended by MMY).
If we look at the last and final Sidhi sutra in chapter 3 (Expansion)
we arrive at sutra 52 which states "From Sanyama on moments and their
succession, the finest discriminative knowledge is born.
Sutra 53. "This enables us to distinguish between two objects that are
to all appearances identical.
Sutra 54: Knowledge born of the finest discrimination takes us to the
farthest shore.
Sutra 55: And when the translucent intellect is as pure as the Self,
there is Enlightenment.

Look at 52 through 55 and this is the only place it says that any
sutra produces the Big E. All the other sutras are for practice and
for the sidhi disclosed. The last sutra says Big E is the result of
this sutra 52.
Actually sutra 52 was installed at the time we all learned the sidhis.
We were beat over the head with the necessity to do a certain number
of reps in a bound amount of time. MMY gave you sutra 52 to practice
without telling you so.  There is a part of every mind that can track
time no matter what and if you don't think so remember all the time
you ended your meditation at exactly 20 minutes. The instruction to do
a finite number of reps in a certain time while you were doing the
sidhi prescribed was to do #52 in total innocence. So you have been
doing this practice as prescribed by MMY with out knowing it.  Best
way to hide something is right under your nose in plain sight. Chapter
4 goes on to expound on what happens at the experience level of those
who have gained the Big E.  Of course experience appears to be a four
letter word to our scholars here so lets just say that MMY was and is
very sneaky and is a true master.  Of course Patanjali doesn't
describe this as Mickey Mouse Big E either, could there be some
differences of opinion among the sages? Hmm, I wonder.
Tom T
PS I have been away a lot and will in the future so my posts may be up
to 4 days late through the summer.