--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bobananda,
>
> I am replying late and hastily, having been "away" for a few days.
>
> Your reply is (typically) an interesting mix of the astute and the
debatable.

> I agree that meditators tend to accept the "package" because of
their satisfaction with TM
> and their trust of MMY. I also agree that the Vedic tradition is an
almost unparalleled
> fountain of knowledge.
>
> Usually the TMers' acceptance of the "package" includes assumptions
that M has
> "restored the purity" of the information in a particular Vedic
discipline which then becomes
> part of the proprietary offering. I would submit that the
proprietary offering frequently
> seems to embody and transmit distortions of its own, and MSV is an
example of this.

> I know this has been said before in this forum, and I apologize for
the somewhat
> derogatory quality of the phrase, but it seems that the proprietary
makeover often
> includes "dumbing down" for mass consumption. Where MSV is
concerned, for example,
> other authorities say that the question of entrance placement is an
individual
> consideration, properly based on birth chart and perhaps other
factors.

> One can make the argument that dumbing down is actually part of the
perfection of the
> revival, insuring that the principles will be adopted by
significant, trend-setting numbers
> of individuals, thus propogating the doctrine in perpetuity.
>
> I'm just not buying that approach.
>
> L B S

Until the Global Country of Bliss Nazis takes over, you are certainly
entitled to this opinion (that alternative interpretations of
Sthapathya Veda need to be considered), but I'm rejecting it because
of my confidence in Maharishi's revival of the core element of Vedic
technology (TM), and do not see S-Veda as dumbed-down in any way,
just plucked from the muddled and idiosyncratic interpretation that
generally characterized the state of all Vedic knowledge in India
before MMY's revival -- a deplorable state of affairs which is what
led to India's being a land of vast suffering, ignorance, and
domination by others.

I'm in favor of what works, TM works for me, and I do feel the
uplifting effect of being in SV bldgs, altho I do not have the
shekels to actually live in one (however, I may soon be following
Guru Dev's footsteps and living in a Sthapathya-Ved compliant cave).

Bob

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "L B Shriver"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > <SNIP>>
> > > I'm working from memory here, my copy of this thing is packed
away.
> > However, as
> > > someone else has pointed out: even if the measurements for
> > Fairfield are reliable, it could
> > > be an anomaly. The very fact that people are taking this one
study
> > as PROOF of a theory
> > > they already believe in makes the enterprize somewhat
questionable.

> > ***********
> >
> > I think most long-term meditators (those who would like to quit
TM,
> > if they could do without suffering withdrawal, as I believe you
have
> > said about your practice) extrapolate confidence to other Vedic
> > knowledge because of the confidence engendered in all things
Vedic by
> > their practice of TM, which is the centerpiece of Vedic
knowledge --
> > anyway, I do have confidence in all aspects of Vedic knowledge
based
> > on my experience with the consciousness-expanding ability of
Vedic
> > meditation, TM. As MMY has said, nobody buys half a banana, and
the
> > Vedas are total knowledge -- it doesn't make much sense to buy
into
> > half of the Vedas.
> >
> > The fact that some guys in lab coats have not come up a
universally
> > compelling case for the utility of Sthapathya Veda is not really
> > important to those who see the Vedas as the "instruction book
that
> > comes along with creation" (MMY). In addition, there is no such
thing
> > as a universally compelling case in scientific research, a fact
> > obvious from the persistence of silliness like creationism and
> > intelligent design despite the clarity and power of evolutionary
> > theory (funny editorial from Scientific American follows at end).
> >
> > Of course, a lot more research would have to be done to get at
least
> > some non-meditating scientists interested in the research, that's
why
> > studies are replicated many times before scientists buy into
> > theories. However, this hurdle has started to be overcome by
being
> > peer-reviewed before publication in Social Behavior and
Personality,
> > so it's not like the accepted scientific methods and procedures
are
> > being ignored or contravened by SV researchers.
> >
> > I'm not a big fan of anecdotal evidence, but I do notice the
> > uplifting effect of being in SV-compliant bldgs (although I don't
> > really notice deleterious effects of being in south-entrance
bldgs).
> > If you don't mind being a little ascientific, do you ever notice
the
> > delightful effects of SV bldgs?
> >

> > Scientific American editors renounce their smug ways
> > From the April 2005 edition:
> >
> > Okay, We Give Up
> > We feel so ashamed
> > By The Editors
> >
> > There's no easy way to admit this. For years, helpful letter
writers
> > told us to stick to science. They pointed out that science and
> > politics
> > don't mix. They said we should be more balanced in our
presentation of
> > such issues as creationism, missile defense and global warming. We
> > resisted their advice and pretended not to be stung by the
accusations
> > that the magazine should be renamed Unscientific American, or
> > Scientific Unamerican, or even Unscientific Unamerican. But
spring is
> > in the air, and all of nature is turning over a new leaf, so
there's
> > no
> > better time to say: you were right, and we were wrong.
> >
> > In retrospect, this magazine's coverage of so-called evolution
has
> > been
> > hideously one-sided. For decades, we published articles in every
issue
> > that endorsed the ideas of Charles Darwin and his cronies. True,
the
> > theory of common descent through natural selection has been
called the
> > unifying concept for all of biology and one of the greatest
scientific
> > ideas of all time, but that was no excuse to be fanatics about it.
> > Where were the answering articles presenting the powerful case for
> > scientific creationism? Why were we so unwilling to suggest that
> > dinosaurs lived 6,000 years ago or that a cataclysmic flood
carved the
> > Grand Canyon? Blame the scientists. They dazzled us with their
fancy
> > fossils, their radiocarbon dating and their tens of thousands of
> > peer-reviewed journal articles. As editors, we had no business
being
> > persuaded by mountains of evidence.
> >
> > Moreover, we shamefully mistreated the Intelligent Design (ID)
> > theorists by lumping them in with creationists. Creationists
believe
> > that God designed all life, and that's a somewhat religious idea.
But
> > ID theorists think that at unspecified times some unnamed
> > superpowerful
> > entity designed life, or maybe just some species, or maybe just
some
> > of
> > the stuff in cells. That's what makes ID a superior scientific
theory:
> > it doesn't get bogged down in details.
> >
> > Good journalism values balance above all else. We owe it to our
> > readers
> > to present everybody's ideas equally and not to ignore or
discredit
> > theories simply because they lack scientifically credible
arguments or
> > facts. Nor should we succumb to the easy mistake of thinking that
> > scientists understand their fields better than, say, U.S.
senators or