on 4/29/05 8:33 AM, Vaj at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'll leave it to you to decide as to which one Mahesh's teaching
> represents. Because of lack of proper teaching, people still debate
> "did Mahesh receive the mantras from Guru Dev?" Is TM from Guru Dev?
> Where did he learn the sidhi method? *Did* he learn the "sidhi" method?

Maharishi developed the sidhis through trial and error, reading the Yoga
Sutras and experimenting with people, starting in Fiuggi. Long ago I posted
Shannon Dickson's account of his initial experimentation on Shannon and a
few others. (Shannon was one of his personal secretaries at the time.)
Reportedly, the Shankaracharya (the one M supported) had advised M to give
the people something more. After a while, Shannon told Maharishi he didn't
like the sidhis and just wanted to do TM. M told him that the sidhis were
just for materialistic Westerners who always wanted something more, and that
Shannon could just meditate. Shannon also said that the Movement was in a
severe cash crunch at the time, because many centers had been set up but
initiations were down. But the sidhis didn't come out until 1977, and Fiuggi
was 1973, so they didn't ease that particular cash crunch. I reminded
Maharishi in a meeting in 1975 that he had expressed his intention to bring
out the sidhis. He perked up and discussed it a bit, but didn't bring them
out for a couple more years.