Vaj wrote:

> On May 2, 2005, at 2:43 PM, Alex Stanley wrote:
>
> > How is your own attachment and identification with a new set of
> > codified dogmas any less blind?
>
> I go with my experience. You don't have to agree with it.

But Vaj, you just said our experiences have a funny way of matching what we've
been
taught they should be. Why should your experiences of the harmful effects of
the TM-
Sidhi program be any more valid than my experiences if its benefits?

By the way, this "precept leads to percept" scenario is what Dana Sawyer holds.
(Dana's the philosophy and religion professor who's been quoted a fair amount
on
this list.) He says that if enlightenment were really the ultimate reality,
enlightened
people would describe it pretty much the same the world over. But they don't.
Enlightened Buddhists describe it the way Buddhists are taught to describe it,
and
enlightened Hindus describe it the way they've been taught it should be. And
the two
are very different.

Enlightenment is described differently from culture to culture, and some
cultures
have no mention of it in their religious traditions. (Native Americans, for
example,
according to Dana, make no reference to anything like an enlightened state of
being.)

-- Patrick Gillam

Vaj wrote:

 "It's easy to condition ourselves. How many times have we heard that this is
the goal:
silence in activity--CC, etc. We were conditioned to believe that from the
start. It's a
self-fulfilling prophecy. ... Is it such a surprise that we have been told this
precise
same scenario--in a number of different ways and then ego fills in the blank?"