Swami Vishnu Devananda says:

Being Duly Sworn on this 30 day of June, 1986 I Swami Vishnu Devananda
state the following:

    1.

       I am a Swami of the Saraswati order in the Shankaracharaya line,
and am fully knowledgable and expert in the theories and practical
techniques associated with teaching meditation. I have taught
meditation internationally for the past 30 years in North and South
America, the Carribean, Europe, The Mediterranean, Australia, India,
Southeast Asia, etc. and maintain 30 teaching centers, and affiliated
groups under the name Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers.
    2.

       I hereby state and fully affirm that any Bija mantras or alleged
Bija mantras used by the defendants various organizations have been in
public domain for centuries. They are commonly known in India and
parts of the west. They can be located in books which I and other
authors have published and can be found in almost any free library.
They are not the trade secrets of any particular organization. Many of
the Bija Mantras are listed in my book, Meditation and Mantras. My
Guru, H.H. Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh, listed these mantras in his
work, "Japa Yoga" in the section on Bija Mantras. (see attached copy)
    3.

       The effortless, passive repetition of these mantras is not
unique to the practice of the defendants programs, and is common in
all meditative practices. Here I guote points 8 and 9 from the 14
points of meditation outlined in Chapter 2 of my book, "Meditation and
Mantras":

           8. Allow the mind to wander at first. It will jump around,
but will eventually become concentrated, along with the concentration
of prana.

           9. Do not force the mind to be still. This will set into
motion additional brain waves, hindering meditation. If the mind
persists in wandering, simply disassociate from it, and watch it as
though you were watching a movie. It will gradually slow down.

    4.

       If an individual who is unqualified or unprepared to begin
meditation uses a bija mantra, negative physiological or psychological
effects can occur.
    5.

       The Yoga sutras of Patanjali and the practice of the formulas
which result in siddhis are common practices taught throughout India.
Many translations of the Yoga Sutras can be found in many libraries
throughout the world. The Raja Yoga sutras have also been introduced
to my students through my book "Meditation and Mantras" as taught by
my own Guru, Swami Sivananda. Further the goal of Yoga is not the
obtainment of siddhis, and these powers are not to be sought as an end
in themselves. Patanjali himself warns in chapter 3 of the Raja Yoga
Sutras:

           (37.) From that comes intuitional hearing, thought, sight
taste and smell.

           38. Te samadhau upasarga vyutthane siddhayah:
           These are obstacles to the state of samadhi, though they are
considered powers to the mind which is worldly.

       Patanjali makes it clear that the siddhis described above are
but temptations and distractions from the superconscious state. They
only appear attractive to those who are steeped in worldliness, egoism
and the desire for power. Seeking these powers can bring many
physiological and psychological problems to the individuals concerned.
    6.

       Translations of the Rig Veda - Mandalas 1 thru 10 and
translations of the Jaimini Sutras are not the private, unique secret
information of any particular organization, but rather are part of the
scripural heritage of India and are commonly known and publicly used.
    7.

       The information regarding the mantras, techniques and scriptural
books listed above are most definitely not a copywritable unique body
of knowledge, nor are they the trade secrets of the defendants various
organizations. Rather they are an integral part of the rich cultural
and scriptural heritage which belongs to India.
    8. It is my opinion that if anyone purchased goods or services from
the defendants organizations with an impressions to the contrary, then
those individuals were defrauded.

[30th June 1986]
[Signed Swami Vishnudevananda]
[Om Namo Narayanaya...Om - Peace - Om Santi]