This is Seva at its finest:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Christianity

on 5/10/05 10:12 AM, Peter Sutphen at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The idea of seva or service has always been sorely
> lacking in the TMO and with MMY.

There's plenty of seva to MMY, MUM, etc. Staff are explicitly requested to
work tirelessly, and are are often told not to question or get "creative"
with policies and directives - just to work. There's a macho pride in how
hard one works, pulling all-nighters, etc. After a big project such as the
preparation for the Taste of Utopia course, people are publicly praised for
their sleepless dedication. But I've never seen any sort of seva directly
applied to the needy. In Mallorca, Maharishi said "People are poor because
they are lazy." Maharishi's expressed philosophy has always been that we
help the disadvantaged most effectively by approaching and winning the
support of the wealthy and influential, who in turn will help the
disadvantaged. The metaphysical equivalent of this approach is that we don't
deal with problems directly, because that would be watering the leaves and
there will be no end of problems. Rather, we enliven collective
consciousness and the nourishment at that root level will enrich more
manifest levels and thus eradicate problems.

I almost sound like Bob Brigante here, but my implication is that I don't
totally agree with this approach. If you're going to take it, you should
simultaneously work directly to help the needy, both for their sake and for
yours. It cultures compassion and selflessness.