Yes, that was the silent extension of my thought: "unless one is
hanging a shingle out for something -- books, seminars, students,
attention."

I have asked the question, "what is the value (much less the validity)
 of the title enlightenment? Some responses include, "it provides an
ispiration to others."

I have never been able to fathom or digest that one. Ones life, ones
shared insights, ones presence -- such things seem to be the fountain
of of inspiration.  Not some claim.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Llundrub" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maharishi is defining the value, in money for his lineage.

Inner Subjective Sense of No Indiv. Do

> [...]
>   If unbounded, unrestrictedness is not here now, focusing on a future
>   state won't help much.
>

>   --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   > There is a book that addresses this idea, it's called:
>   >
>   > "Halfway up the Mountain, The Error of Premature Claims to
>   > Enlightenment" by Mariana Caplan, Hohm Press
>   >
>   > I read it over a year ago so it's not too fresh in my mind but I do
>   > remember thinking that how did I know that the people in the book
>   > were qualified to decide wether or not someone was in fact
>   > enlightened or not. The book though, is a very rich source of
quotes
>   > and short dialogues from dozens of teachers representing many
>   > spiritual schools.
>   >
>   > Rick Carlstrom
>   >
>   >
>   > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   > wrote:
>   > > > > Just as a question to the folks participating in this
>   > > > > discussion, do you assume that enlightenment, once
>   > > > > realized, is permanent?  Since I've been away from TM
>   > > > > and its teachings for 20+ years, I'm trying to find out
>   > > > > whether we're on the "same page" here.  I certainly do
>   > > > > not assume this, based both on teachings I respect and
>   > > > > the personal experiences of myself and others (periods
>   > > > > of enlightenment can just come and go).  The teachings
>   > > > > were Tibetan in origin, and have to do with ways in
>   > > > > which one can definitely mess up after realization of
>   > > > > enlightenment and make it "go away."  TIA,
>   > > >
>   > > > There are several on this list who claim to be permanently
>   > > > enlightened--perhaps they could answer this question?
>   > >
>   > > That's actually one reason I asked.  There are some
>   > > schools of thought (like TM, when I was around) that
>   > > suggest that once realized, enlightenment is perma-
>   > > nent.  There are others that believe that it can come
>   > > and go.  I tend to believe the latter, for many reasons.
>   > >
>   > > Now, if the latter were true, and one had begun to have
>   > > enlightenment experiences, had announced them to the
>   > > world, and then those experiences faded, what does
>   > > one do?
>   > >
>   > > How many would have the strength of character to go
>   > > back to all those people one had announced one's
>   > > enlightenment to and say, "Ooops?"
>   > >
>   > > In several traditions this situation has come up often
>   > > enough that they don't recommend talking about one's
>   > > experiences as permanent until they have been present

Service.