--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In South America they have what are known as Lightening Shamans -
> > people who have been struck by lightening and kind of fried, but
> > who end up with psychic and other such abilities.
>
> ======
> There was a book called Saved by the Light about a guy who had a near
> death experience after being struck by lightening. He claimed that
> afterward, he had certain psychic abilities.

This is certainly possible, if on no other level than the
theory I once heard from some TM teacher as to why TM
"expands the mind."  His rap was about neurons, and how
they work.  Each neuron has X (a fairly large) number of
possible connections to the other neurons surrounding it.

But brain chemistry is such that once a particular pathway
has been taken, it is more *likely* that it will be taken
next time.  From this chemical tendency to "do the same
thing we did last time" arise patterns, and habits, and, of
course, samskaras.  His theory was that what happened in
the brain when one transcends was that instead of all the
brain activity quieting down, *all* of the neural connec-
tions fired at once.  This phenomenon is supposedly well
known in brain studies, and is *subjectively* perceived
as silence, just as "white noise," which is a random set
of all sounds and frequencies, is subjectively perceived
as relaxing, or even silence.

So this guy's theory was that when we regularly fire off
all the neural connections at once, what we're doing on
the level of brain chemistry is allowing *different* paths
to be taken through the brain, "opening circuits" that
previously were not really used because of the chemical
tendency to follow past patterns.

I don't know that any of this is true, but the idea struck
me at the time, and it would seem to me that being exposed
to a huge electrical field (being struck by lightning)
might have a similar effect.

Unc