--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bbrigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Truly, there is no mind in the liberated ones. What is the mind? The
> psychological conditioning or limitation which is dense and which
> leads to rebirth is known as mind: this is absent in the liberated
> sages. The liberated sages live with the help of the mind which is
> free from conditioning and which does not cause rebirth. It is not
> mind at all but pure light (sattva). The liberated ones live and
> function here established in this sattva, not in the mind. The
> ignorant and inert mind is mind; the enlightened mind is known as
> sattva. The ignorant live in their mind, the enlightened ones live in
> sattva." (p. 458, http://tinyurl.com/6xndt )

I assume the actual sanskrit refers to chitta not manas. Its a bad
translation to say "mind" in that it has an entirely different and
larger connation in the west (cognitive capabilites, and often
intellect)  than chitta -- storehouse of (binding) impressions. The
"no mind" translation gives rise to silly notions.