Some of you may already know this book, or its author Christopher
Moore.  Based on the sensibilities of folks here, and your evident
senses of humor, if you haven't I really think you'd like it.

IMO, Christopher Moore is one of the funniest men on the planet.  You
can tell a lot just from the titles of some of his books:  "Practical
Demonkeeping," "Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story," "The Lust Lizard
of Melancholy Cove," and "Island of the Sequined Love Nun."

But with "Lamb" he really outdid himself.  It is *exactly* what its
title implies, the Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.
I think it's a truly funny, sweet, uplifting, and irreverently
reverent novel. I give if 5 crosses. :-)

I have recommended this book to Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, Jews
and atheists; to priests, rabbis, Indian gurus, Zen masters, and
others; not one of them has disliked it, and most, if they could stop
laughing long enough, have passed the recommendation along to their
colleagues and/or students.

The book is more provocative in concept than it is in actuality. I
think it's actually remarkably understated.  The basic idea is
simple -- an angel named Raziel gets orders to go "dirtside" and
resurrect Christ's best friend "Levi who was called Biff" after 2000
years to write a new Gospel.  He is to tell the truth this time, as
only a best friend -- who met his best bud Joshua (Jeshua, Jesus)
when they both were six, who traveled with him to the East, and who
was with him as a disciple (not an apostle...there is a difference,
as you will learn) until the end -- can tell it.

Along the way you will learn the origin of many things. Blond jokes
(angels are all blond, and are gorgeous but not terribly bright), the
secret martial art known as Jew-do, sarcasm (invented by Biff, never
quite understood by Josh), the proper method of choosing a harlot,
how bunnies came to be associated with Easter, what the rough draft
of the Sermon on the Mount sounded like, and what the H in Jesus H.
Christ stands for.

And yeah, it really is understated, in its own way. Moore could have
gone WAY over the top with this premise. But he didn't. His version
of Christ is *exactly* what he is portrayed to be in the four Gospels
we got stuck with; he just adds a new perspective. And a wonderful
perspective it is, too. Biff -- total asshole, with the subtlety of a
water buffalo, with the lustful appetites of a Don Juan and the
ethics of a weasel, but above all with a love for his friend Josh
matched in literature only by the one that Sam showed for Frodo
in "The Lord Of The Rings."

It's a great tale. You will laugh out loud more than once a chapter,
and at the end you will actually see the tale of Jesus differently
than you did before, and appreciate it more. And, you'll know how to
tell the difference between a bona fide vision of the Virgin Mary and
elephant poop. What's not to like about that?

Unc