> On May 17, 2005, at 11:50 AM, t3rinity wrote:
>
> > Well, for one thing, Nathists are not Advaitins. They maybe similar,
> > but they are not the same. The despise of the strict logic of a
> > Shankara. Apart from that the Nath sampradaya is a separate Sampradaya
> > from Shankara. You either belong to that one or to Shankara. It's like
> > you can't be a Catholic and a Lutherian at the same time. That's
> > actually the attitude of many Westerners: To get into all these
> > different Indian groups,get initiated everywhere, just because they
> > are Indian and 'all is one'. But the Indians find it funny.
>
> Well this is not entirely true. Naths are not limited, number one. Two
> they are unlikely to be Adavaita Vedantists. But there is more than one
> advaita Mark.

Michael.

> As I have stated before I am not a Vedantin.

Oh, I missed that.The YS interpretation you used to cite here was from
a strict Advaitic scholastic POV. Btw., you still haven't given the
source of that book (engl.Title/Publisher/Translator/ISBN if possible))

> Numerous
> Mahasiddhas were Buddhist and Hindu. And there are Tibetan Buddhists
> who are/were Hindu.

Well, there is a common source, esp. for Tibetan Buddhism. But as a
Buddhist, you have to take certain vows. You can't do that as a Hindu.

> My Nath teacher was recognized as a lama, a paramahamsha, a Nath and a
> saint etc. There are no limits, only ones we create.

No there are no limits, but in the relative there are certain
channels. You may try several channels, but you may end up doing each
one superficially.  Where it becomes problematic, is when you start to
instruct each channel about the 'true' teaching.

> I don't believe one should be condemned for being initiated by
> sannyasis of the Shankaracharya order--esp. since you have no clue as
> to what that actually was!

I am certainly not condemning you Steve. I have been offered many
initiations myself, but I have been restrictive, because I know what
it involves - if you get diksha, it means you become a desciple.