--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You have mentioned many faults in the Church.  Since it is made up
> humans, there will be many faults that should corrected.
>
> As far as the nuns are concerned, it appears that the Vatican may
> have tried to reconcile with them to stay in the fold. But the
> nuns would not give an inch. Hence, the Vatican had to act with
> its final authority.

Uh, so did the Inquisition.

It was invented to deal with "heresy," too. Soon
afterwards, the Church's "final authority" exter-
minated a quarter of a million fellow Christians
because they didn't believe exactly the things
they were told to believe.

The Office of the Holy Inquistion lasted for 600
years! It was only eliminated from the Catholic
Church in the 1950s.

But it's back. And guess who *brought* it back?
The current Pope, before he became Pope. He was
the one who felt that the Church *needed* an
Inquisition.

I don't care who the person up in Canada is who
claims to be Mary or how much of a cult it might
be or how much they have the knickers of the Pope
and the higher-ups of the Church in a twist -- I
say good for the nuns for refusing to cave in to
pressure from spiritual bullies.

Spiritual organizations that claim that there is
one and only one correct set of things to believe
in have IMO missed the whole *point* that is often
discussed here -- people are individuals, with
individual needs and individual paths. Not recog-
nizing that is a *failing* -- a minus, not a plus.
The Church *failed* these nuns by not being able
to allow them their individual beliefs while still
being considered a part of the Church.

IMO, *any* spiritual organization that allows
"excommunication" is broadcasting its own limit-
ations and its own fears. Excommunicating these
nuns is the equivalent of banning TM teachers
from the domes and from courses because they
dared to see another spiritual teacher, even if
they did it just out of curiosity. It's behavior
based on FEAR, not light.