> Last night I rapped for a little while about outlaws
> and why I like them, and the flack they sometimes get
> from others for living by no rules but their own. But
> there is another reason why I love outlaws. For me
> they are the perfect metaphor for the pathway to
> enlightenment.
>
> In my considered opinion, *most* of the men and women
> in human history who have realized their enlightenment
> have done so by being outlaws. At some point in their
> lives they decided to stop following the advice or the
> "laws" of others, and follow only their own.
>
> You need look no further than the Buddha for an example.
> Yeah, he studied with a few teachers during his early
> days. But he rejected them all, and in the end wound
> up "studying" only with the Self. And that was all that
> was needed to realize the Self. That is essentially his
> message, and in my opinion it is still true, all these
> centuries later.
>
> Many in the spiritual community are *offended* by the
> idea of DIY (Do It Yourself). They come up with all sorts
> of intellectual arguments for how it isn't possible for
> a self to realize Self all by itself. They repeat the
> stuff they've been told (and, more often than not, *sold*)
> by teachers who told them that they *needed* a teacher to
> realize who they are. They go on and on like Ron does
> about how a guru is essential, and how doing exactly what
> he or she says is essential to become enlightened.
>
> Well, to echo Cuba Gooding, Jr. in Jerry Maguire, "Show
> me the enlightenment!"
>
> We were all told for years or decades within the TM move-
> to Just Follow Instructions. "Do what we tell you to do
> and you'll become enlightened." Yeah, right. We all know
> how many people in the TM movement *that* worked for.
>
> And then I look at other spiritual traditions and what I
> see is that the guys and gals who get written about *as*
> enlightened beings are the ones who *didn't* follow
> instructions, who *didn't* do exactly what they were
> told to do. For the most part, the people whom history
> records as the enlightened were outlaws. For a while
> they tried doing things Somebody Else's Way, but in the
> end the thing that enabled them to realize their enlight-
> enment was finding Their Own Way.
>
> I could go on and on and on, listing the enlightened of
> the past whose life stories suggest that they were outlaws.
> It's pretty easy to do; there are far more of them than
> there are stories about people who realized enlightenment
> by doing what they were told.
>
> But instead, since I know that this is going to push
> some buttons, I'll ask those who still believe that one
> *can* become realized by doing what you're told to do
> (or that that's the *only* way you can realize enlight-
> enment) to provide some examples of this. Show me the
> enlightenment! Trot out some examples of someone follow-
> ing Someone Else's Path and getting enlightened by
> doing what he or she was told to do.

> [...]
When sincere seekers are there , the universe offers a choice. Probably when
the sincerety
is kept up, more choices come along the way and the time frame is eternity so
no need to
worry.

It looks like out of the 6 billion people on the planet, not many follow a
Guru, this is their
choice, that is what free will  is about.

Hridaya