I've done this rap before, and people were bored
by it then, too. :-) But since, given Jung's proj-
ection theory, the person I'm preaching to is
probably myself, I'm going to give myself a good
talking to anyway. Lord knows I need it. :-)

It's about this notion that there are things *wrong*
with the world, and that many of them need to be
changed. Absolutely *nothing* wrong with this; I
tend to resonate with and identify with folks like
Gandhi who devoted their lives *to* correcting a
few of the things about the world that they thought
were wrong.

But I tend to identify with the guys *like* Gandhi,
who presented new ideas of what is *right*, and
didn't spend all their time (and waste all their
energy) focusing on the things that are wrong.

And it's all about Judo. I studied it for a time
when I was young, and even got fairly good at it.
And one of the things you learn from Judo is that
when you're in a match with someone, what you *long*
for is an opponent who spends all of his time and
his energy focused on being *against* you. They're
the easiest to beat.

Why? Because they're off balance. All of their
attention is focused on aggressive moves, moves
*against* the opponent. And that, almost by defi-
nition, throws them off balance. They shove at you,
trying to throw you to the mat, and all you have to
do is step out of the way and stick your foot out
and *they* are the ones on the mat.

That's how I view politics and the world of social
change. A lot of politicians (and armchair politic-
ians) spend most, if not all, of their time talking
about what's *wrong* with the world, or with the
current system, or with the people who are running
it. Whenever I meet one of these people, I tend to
say to them, "Yeah, I get that. You're against this
and this and this and that. Good on you. Now, what
are you *for*?"

The answer is usually stony silence.

They've never even thought about it.

And that's why so many revolutions and movements for
social change fail. They're only *against*. They don't
know what they're *for*. And so they are in exactly
the same position, IMO, as the Judoka who is constantly
pushing against the opponent trying to throw him, and
in reality is throwing himself off balance and putting
himself in a weak position.

What happens with revolutions? Historically, the worst
thing that could ever happen to them is that they
succeed. Almost every one that *has* succeeded has
then imploded on itself. The fiery, passionate rebels
focus for years on getting rid of the Bad Guys in power,
and finally succeed. After a few purges, they get rid
of every one of them. And then they look around and
think, "What next?" And, because they've never given
any *thought* to what comes next, they start looking
around for a new enemy, someone else to be *against*.
Most often, historically, that is members of their
own revolution, who suddenly become the "new enemy,"
and have to be purged.

That's why I write off any politician who is only
*against* things, and can never bring himself to talk
about any of the things he's *for*. He's weak, and
off balance, and very possibly doesn't even *know*
what he's for. He's never had to. The voting public
are such suckers for righteous anger and blame that
they'll vote him into office just on the basis of
what he's *against*. But not me. I'm waiting for a
politician who is willing to take a stand and tell
us what he's *for*. Because if he wins, he might just
have some notion of what to do once he's in office.
The politicians who are only *against* won't have
a clue. That's why things never change. The newly-
elected "anti" politicians just become the next
generation of Bad Guys.

I sorta feel the same way about criticisms of spirit-
ual practice and religion. These things are easy
targets; much of the world's misery has been caused
by them, and much of it still is. But as noble as it
is on one level to be *against* some of the lesser
practices and beliefs one sees in religions and
spiritual traditions -- and as EASY as it is to take
that approach and fall into the rut of Flaccid Mind
Syndrome and rail against them -- I'm lookin' for
the individuals who can suggest a different approach,
one that might work better. Those guys and gals might
just have a clue, because they've put some thought
into what they're *for*. The ones who are only
*against* -- give me a break. Flaccid minds the
lot of them.

So, with the political season upon us in America
and everyone and their dog talking about what's wrong
with the world, I'm waiting for someone who is some-
what more balanced and is willing to tell us what
they think might be more right.

And in the realm of criticizing religion, I'm equally
unimpressed with the Professional Atheists who rail
against religion and the ex spiritual junkies who
are willing to talk, talk, talk our ears off about
everything that's so wrong with things as they are.
I'm waiting for someone who is willing to go out on
a limb and suggest a few things that they think are
right.

Maybe, if I keep preaching to myself long enough, I'll
be one of them. Maybe not. Maybe I'll sink back into
Flaccid Mind Syndrome myself, and just wave around a
limp dick while convincing myself it's a hardon. I
hope not, but it's a possibility. It's just a possibility
I don't relish, so I'm trying to put more thought these
days into the things I'm *for* than the things I'm
*against*. It's much more difficult. I start thinking
about something that might work better than the current
ideas, and then I see problems with *it*, too, and I'm
right back to the drawing board, with nothing positive
to suggest.

But ya gotta keep trying, because if you succeed in
thinking up some new ideas, they might actually change
the world. For a while, anyway. Gandhi did, for a while.
May there be more like him, and may I someday be one
of them.