> --- shempmcgurk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "biosoundbill"
> > <smithybill@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anybody know what is the purpose of the TM
> > puja?
> > >
> > > Is it to enliven the mantra,or is it to help the
> > teacher to connect
> > > with Guru Dev,or to go to the transcendent in
> > order to fuse the
> > mantra
> > > with shakti,before passing it on to the initiate?
> > any thoughts,or
> > > opinions?
> > >
> > > Namaste,
> > >
> > > Billy
> > >

> > I think it is all of the above.
> >
> > Speaking from experience, something profound
> > happens.  And I say that
> > not so much as a result of my experiences initiating
> > (I taught about
> > 50 people) but from being a "flower boy" for
> > hundreds of initiations
> > BEFORE I became a teacher.  I waited outside the
> > three rooms we had
> > for initiations on Saturdays to guide people to the
> > room we used for
> > their first meditation.  Well, after about 5 minutes
> > of them entering
> > the initiation room (about the time the mantra was
> > imparted to them),
> > I sensed the entire atmophere change; I sensed
> > something very
> > profound going on that was incredibly palpable.
> >
> > So I think that the puja replaces an enlightened
> > master giving you
> > the mantra, which he can enliven just by the fact
> > that it is he in
> > his enlightened state imparting it to you; by doing
> > the puja and
> > invoking that tradition, the mantra is being
> > imparted at that level.
> >
> > A mantra given without a puja may work and have some
> > effect but it
> > would, in my opinion, be missing someting very, very
> > special.
>
> Agree with Shemp here. Working as a flower boy and
> then initiating myself you experience a profound
> change in the environment. Forget the theory,
> something really amazing happens when you do a puja or
> pujas. A very profound, holy sweetness.

I also like what Shemp had to say but I might add that in addition to
creating the appropriate atmosphere it is an acknowledgment that the
teaching comes from a 'tradition', like Shemp said, of Masters
(whether you believe that or not) and MMY is not just some Johnny come
lately giving out mantras (although you may believe that), I
personally don't know other than I've benefited from it :-).