> I also remember the character doing TM in 'breakfast of champions' was
> beaten to death in the very next paragraph!

Later in the book Bunny's father goes crazy and attacks Bunny.  Instead
of fighting his father off with his extensive military training he
begins to meditate as the father grinds his face into a piano.

It may be Kurt was not so impressed with TM.

Incidentally,  I went to a "retreat" type thing with the Budhist teacher
Thich Nhat Hanh.  This included some "mindfullness" meditation and a
Sangha. He put me in a really passive mood.  It did have a feeling of
great awareness and presence but at the same time it was a little
creepy.    I felt a bit like a zombie or a pod person.  I was wondering
why all the monks put up with it.

TM never made me feel passive like that.

s.