--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "jim_flanegin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> authfriend posted:
> > >  Your statement that : "there just
> > > are no relative objective standards you can apply
> > > to the question of whether enlightenment is
> > > beneficial.

> <curtisdeltablues@> wrote:
> > seems like a pretty high level of honesty about it all.
> >
> It is. Of what use is a rhetorical discussion about enlightenment?
> Because the benefits are entirely subjective, there is no way to
> *prove* the benefits of it, one way or another, to another. Either
> for the sake of the other, or the sake of the enlightened one.

This is a direct contradiction to MMY's claims that first, a person
gains measurably increased cognitive abilities from TM practice,and
that the performance of sidhis verifies that gains in higher states.

According to MMY the benifits are not only not just subjective,they
can be measured by relatively crude scientific techniques.  I respect
that he does give falsifiable criteria for the subjective state of
enlightenment.

> Seen from within the establishment of such a state, there is a
> quantum, unmistakable benefit, but beyond each individual's need to
> pursue such a thing, or not, any attempt to justify such a
> dedication in one's life [towards gaining enlightenment] is
> completely worthless. Both for the one pursuing the permanent
> establishment of enlightenment, and others. Completely worthless to
> try to persuade others.

Then MMY's life is a total waste because he has dedicated it to just
this goal.

> People come to a pursuit of enlightenment for their own reasons, in
> their own time. If someone, such as yourself, sees no need to pursue
> such a thing, there is no reason that I can see to contradict that,
> or try to change that.

Agreed.  It shows a good development of intellectual boundaries.  But
for MMY and his closest followers, the evangelical nature of his
activities are the basis of everything he does.