http://tinyurl.com/2v2jdm  (Institute of Noetic Sciences)

JH: Intention is, I would say, a localized beam of consciousness.
Consciousness in its nature is unbounded, all pervasive, universal,
pure being, pure subjectivity, pure self aware consciousness without
an object. And that intention free, or even, object free
consciousness is the simplest most fundamental state of human
awareness, now considered to be a fourth major state of human
consciousness, the meditative state, very distinct from normal waking
attentive consciousness. As distinct from sleeping, dreaming,
hypnosis, anything else that's ever been studied, it even has its own
brainwave signature. So consciousness is by nature a vast unbounded
reality, but when we focus the intention through our senses, for
example, to a particular object or a particular thought or a
particular intention, that's a localization of this non-local field
of consciousness, a localized beam of consciousness, another analogy
would be like a wave rising up on an unbounded ocean. So that's an
intention, intention is directed consciousness, I think you could
say, and that's how we pretty much all understand it anyway.

BB: Yes.  So given that definition of intention, it would seem that,
and also based on the conversation with some of your colleagues that
was published in Shift magazine, in a way as the Assembly is
practicing it, is not specifically focused in this way on a
particular intention, but rather opening up to the all pervading
consciousness, so in a sense there isn't a specific intention, is
there?

JH: That's exactly right.  It's good to think of intention sort of a
localized beam of consciousness can be very weak or very strong, just
like you can have a flashlight with very weak on batteries and the
lens, even though it's a focused beam it's a very dim beam, and what
we're really doing in the meditative state, we're turning off the
beam, if you wish, letting consciousness expand to become global,
universal and in the process of expanding consciousness it's like
you've got new batteries now, if the intensity of the light is
increased, now  whatever you put your attention on afterwards is
going to be more effective, more fruitful. Another way of
understanding this is that intention can be very strong, the bible
says, for example, through faith we can move mountains. It can also
be extremely feeble and frankly often is. You can put some
heavyweights together at a breakfast table, let's take your favorite
consciousness relative heavyweights that you find running around the
country today and you can ask this small group to move a speck of
toast across the table and they typically can't do it.  But why is
that? These are not weak people, it's just that they're going about
it wrong, in the sense that the deeper levels of mind, the more
powerful intention becomes, and it's exactly for the very same
reason, it's the quantum uncertainty principle.

The quantum uncertainty principle is the principle of increasing
power at deeper levels, at fundamental scales. The reason that
nuclear power is a million times more powerful than burning an
object, chemical energy, because chemical energy involves molecular
manipulation and nuclear power involves manipulation of the nuclear
structure, which is a million times smaller than the molecule, a
million times more fundamental, and therefore, according to the
uncertainty principle, a million times more powerful. Literally the
power of thought varies by factors of millions, between people and
even for a given subject, depending on whether that subject is using
the mind at a stressed and agitated state of consciousness,
superficial level of consciousness, or whether they're using the mind
at a very expanded, very deep level of consciousness, that's where,
that's the nuclear level of thought, almost the Unified Field level
of thought, which is pure, unbounded being, and on the course the
reason we're spending time in meditation, not necessarily thinking
about peace, is because it's taking the mind deep down into there,
the maximally expanded state of comprehension, universal
comprehension, field of being, that's where thought is much more
powerful. So it is really, in a sense, an exercise in intention,  but
it is intention that is entertained at the deepest, most expanded,
most powerful level of consciousness, and that's why a couple
thousand people, which is what we've got, can literally change the
trends in an entire country, as big as the United States.

BB: John if you could summarize that, let's kind of go back to the
top, if the conventional notion of the power of intention is that if
we focus on a particular image, or idea, of something that one wants
or something that one is praying for or visualizing  to come into
being is not going to be all that powerful because it's at a
superficial level of consciousness, right, I think you'd say…

JH: It is right, it's a question of skill and desiring. There's a
technique in desiring, to desire at a very deep level. In the sense
of prayer, you can go to a church where, you know, basically everyone
is jumping around in the aisles, screaming out the name of God, that
will provide a very excited level of mind, that'll provide some
emotional upliftment for sure, or you can settle quietly and feel
God's presence, and that will provide a practically more pervasive,
subtle, but more powerful  influence within the whole body, a healing
influence in the whole body. Or you can identify with God, on the
level of being on the level of cosmic awareness, His awareness or Her
awareness, if you wish, where the separation is zero, and where
thoughts are cosmically powerful, so intention can accomplish, it's
just a skill in desiring, that's all, and the meditative training
that we're involved with here is learning how to desire at a deep
enough level such that the fulfillment of desire comes quickly, and
where relatively few people can produce a really global effect.