--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>... the distinction between sattva and
> purusha, or judging "it's a really, really *good* movie" vs. actually
> freeing oneself from belief in the movie. While I enjoy sattvic
> behavior as much as the next guy, judging anyone's behavior
> as "enlightened" or "not enlightened" would to me fall into the
> category of judging the quality of the movie.

I'd like to refine this comparison a bit, because I think it's crucial,
and it's come up a lot here on FFL lately.

Judging a person as "enlightened" or "unenlightened" by his or her
behavior is somewhat like judging an actor in a movie as being a
genuinely "good" or "bad" person *based upon one's response to the
dramatic role s/he happens to be playing in the movie*, when the real
issue is whether the spectator even knows s/he is watching a movie.

Except it is even funnier than that, because it's not just a movie,
it's a mirror, so we could see the whole judgment-process as more like
the canary pecking away at his own reflection.

I don't know much about logic, but I imagine one could call it
a "category error".

*lol*