--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > 40,000,000 Native Americans GONE GONE GONE in 565 years of
genocide by
> > WHITE PEOPLE.
> >

> Actually, a lot of the research in the last 20 years points towards
> massive deaths, up to 90% of the native population, prior to
Jamestown
> -- from disease for which the native americans had virtually no
> resistance -- spread from earlier traders. This along with growing
> evidence that the native populations in 1491 (the name of a great
book
> on the topic) were far larger than those in europe at the time, and
in
> many regards more sophisticated. And these sophisticate populations
> spanned both Americas. If the native population had not literally
been
> decimated (cut down to 1/10th)prior to the arrival of the first
major
> settlements, then white dominance probably would never have
occurred.
> And America would / could today be predominantly native american.

I read an article in the New Yorker a few years ago which suggested
that the reason Native Americans (in both North and South America)
died from diseases in such massive numbers when Europeans invaded was
because Native Americans didn't have a livestock-raising culture
(cows, chickens, etc.).  Europeans, Africans, and Asians DID have a
livestock-raising culture and, as such, over many centuries, built up
and developed disease-resistance to the kinds of inter-species
strains that flowed from animals to humans as a result of humans
being in close proximity to many animals kept in captivity (for
example it is postulated that the vast majority of flu's come from
one area of China where there is large-scale chicken farms).

That's why when the European invaders conquered other parts of Europe
and Africa and Asia there never resulted the kinds of decimations of
populations which occured in the Americas.