--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, staging emotional 'trigger points', great synthesis Turq.
>
> You probably could have labeled this thread, The TM New Age Reich
>
> -Doug in FF
>
> any of us could probably remember trigger points along the way,
> like being given a copy of the Holy Tradition upon finishing
> Teacher Training. Being in meetings with Maharishi. Singing puja
> together in highly produced meetings. Story of Trotaka. Guru Dev
> finding his master. World Plans. Much and on-going glossy multi-
> media production for the group and to the group which constantly
> portrays that we are important and influential. Iterations mostly
> for internal group consumption.  Maharishi has been a master at it.
> -D

While I agree with what you're saying, my point
in saying it was not that it's a TM-only phen-
omenon. It pervades pretty much the entire realm
of spirituality and religion.

As such, I think it deserves some pondering and
possibly discussion. Some are probably going to
say that the emotional rushes they experience as
a result of some spiritually-oriented trigger
*are* spiritual experience, and of course that's
true if you define spiritual experience that way.
If, however, you define it as the direct experience
of the transcendent, then an emotional experi-
ence, no matter how profound it may seem, just
doesn't cut the mustard.

I find it fascinating to look at different relig-
ious or spiritual traditions and try to pinpoint
which of their practices seem to be designed as
emotional triggers. And, for that matter, to try
to pinpoint how important emotion itself has been
in religious history. Most of the wars started by
religions were about emotion, most of the perse-
cutions were about emotion, etc.

In some of the repostings of currently-popular
atheists on this forum, I seem to remember that a
few of them characterized religion AS emotion.
And, given the importance that emotion and the
creation of emotional triggers seems to play in
religions, that is not an unreasonable statement.

It's just another way of looking at things, but
I find it a fascinating one.