--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "sparaig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Irmeli Mattsson"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > If you are `certain' that a practice produces beneficial
effects to
> > > everyone in every circumstance even when people are forced to
do it,
> > > this certainty still doesn't guarantee that the practise
actually is
> > > beneficial.  And what you understand to be beneficial may not
be
> > that
> > > according to somebody else's standards.
> > > If a practise is truly beneficial to most people, it will
spread by
> > > itself as fast as people are capable of appreciating and
adopting
> > it.
> > >
> > > E.g. meditation may have some beneficial influence on many
people in
> > > some aspects. But it also takes time to do it and because of it
you
> > > may have to drop some other activity.
> > > If it means that you spend clearly less time with your children
or
> > > drop physical exercise, the overall effect may not be
beneficial.

> Irmeli
>

> > Not likely. 20 minutes TM is beneficial beyond the effects of 20
> > minutes exercise.
>
> ****
> I was not claiming that 20 minutes of exercise is more effective
than
> 20 minutes of TM.
> Those are so different activities that their efficiency cannot be
> compared. What is more efficient: eating or using and moving your
> muscles? You simply need both, they cannot be compared in
efficiency.

> And TM is not beneficial for all people. There are also a lot of
> differences in what kind of physical activity is good for a person.
> E.g. if you have a serious muscular disease the beneficial
> alternatives are very limited.

If you have such a degenerative disease, you likely will be finding
time for it, regardless. For MOST people, the benefits of 20 minutes
of TM vs 20 minutes of exercise, make the 20 minutes TM more
important. Especially when TM usually gives you more energy
afterwards so you CAN do that 20 minutes of exercise.