Hi BillyG.:

To me, the ideas of perfection discussed in the sutras are themselves
products of the ego, intertwined with ego, not free of it, and borne
of wanting to avoid pain. Patanjali also says that one can reach the
powers of perfection that arise from pure contemplation through the
use of herbs and spells. This sounds like he might advocate eating
magic mushrooms, smoking opium, marijuana, etc. for "enlightenment."
I'm not judging this, necessarily, but enlightenment through herbs
sounds like a pothead's dream come true. It still seems borne of the
craving to avoid pain, to escape the dailiness of living embodied in
society.

Re your comment:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "BillyG." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"The purpose of sex is
> procreation not fun, look at all of the misery in the world due to
> using sex for fun, from disease to broken hearts."

does not answer my question:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann" <buttercookie61@>
> wrote:

"Rather than separating spirituality and
sexuality this way, and spirituality from daily living in the world,
why not instead cultivate in all people respect for and value of all
humanity, including the needs of the body, the longing for love, for
sexual expression, and developing emotional and intellectual maturity
to go with these?"

Regards,
Mary Ann