<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is an even better example of what I mean:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=NtljYur4_T8&feature=related
>
> His chops never exceed what he is communicating for me about
> being human for me.

Yeah, this helps to present your POV, Curtis,
thanks. In answer to your first question, there
was a kind of magic to that type of music back
when Django Reinhart and Stephane Grapelli were
playing it live in dimly-lit bistros in Paris.
There was FUN in the air, and they had something
to say. Django was using the guitar the way it
had never been used in a jazz band, as a lead
instrument, and he was playing the same kinda
fast runs that Charlie Parker played. He was
making it up on the fly.

The original clip was of some fellow saying, on
YouTube, "Hey look! I can finally play this piece
I've been practicing for so long." He *wasn't*
making it up on the fly; he was "reading charts."
As you suggested, where's the fun in that?

It must be the same kinda thing you face in being
a student of the blues. Yes, you want to learn
the "old masters'" songs perfectly. But do you
want to play them on the street the way *they*
played them? I think not. Their songs had something
to say for *them*, when *they* played them that way.
You need to find your *own* things to say, and your
way of saying them, all within the same song.

The fellow doing all that diddling about on the
fretboard and showing how well he's "mastered"
someone else's song will probably be able to do
a nice version of it in about ten years, when he's
gotten over finally being able to play it.