> Another meaty interview in Salon with a theologian
> on the relationship of science and religion.
>
> John Haught is a Roman Catholic theologian and a
> student of evolutionary biology who has proposed
> a "theology of evolution." He has a book coming
> out called "God and the New Atheism" in which he
> takes the current crop of atheist authors to task
> for their lack of understanding of both religion
> and science.
>
> Excerpt:
>
> We have to distinguish between science as a method and what science
> produces in the way of discovery. As a method, science does not ask
> questions of purpose. But it's something different to look at the
> cumulative results of scientific thought and technology. From a
> theological point of view, that's a part of the world that we have
> integrate into our religious visions. That set of discoveries is
not
> at all suggestive of a purposeless universe. Just the opposite. And
> what is the purpose? The purpose seems to be, from the very
> beginning, the intensification of consciousness.

This is such crap, consciousness could have evolved any time in the
last 500 million years, instead it waited for a chance event with a
monkey which wouldn't have happened if a meteorite hadn't slammed
into the earth wiping out the dominant reptiles. Oh yeah maybe that
was an act of god. This is a case of a true believer not seeing the
facts because of deeply held prejudice, it's the opposite of science.

If you understand
> purpose as actualizing something that's unquestionably good, then
> consciousness certainly fits. It's cynical of scientists to say,
off-
> handedly, there's obviously no purpose in the universe. If purpose
> means realizing a value, consciousness is a value that none of us
can
> deny.
>
> http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/12/18/john_haught/index.html
> http://tinyurl.com/3y6uar

Here's another excerpt: "Evolution remains the thorniest issue in the
ongoing debate over science and religion. But for all the yelling
between creationists and scientists, there's one perspective that's
largely absent from public discussions about evolution. We rarely
hear from religious believers who accept the standard Darwinian
account of evolution. It's a shame because there's an important
question at stake: How can a person of faith reconcile the apparently
random, meaningless process of evolution with belief in God?"

There is no ongoing debate between science and religion, but people
like the "intelligent design" crowd like you to think there is. It's
stark staringly obvious why you never hear from believers who
understand Darwin, there aren't any. One doesn't believe in evolution
one understands it, big difference.

This is the problem with this entire debate, you have a bunch of
people who don't actually understand something trying to shoe-horn
their beliefs into somewhere that doesn't need them. Dawkins has a
poor understanding of religious beliefs for sure, but in a way his
knowledge is perfect because he understands that religion is the
software running on the hardware that natural selection created. All
you have to do is prove him wrong and you've expanded human
knowledge. It's perfectly possible, Dawkins himself is fascinated by
concepts of ultimate creators/consciousnes he's not as narrow minded
as people like to paint him. None of these articles will prove him
wrong however, they are just searching for wiggle room, it's called
the "god of the gaps" wherever someone thinks science can't provide
an explanation they try to use that as proof there is more in the
sense of a controlling force. None of the arguments has stood up so
far, and in the ever expanding sphere of knowledge the space for god
gets smaller all the time.