"How is this dream to be broken, how shall we wake up from this dream
that we are little men and women, and all such things?"

~~  Swami Vivekananda

The Scourge of Nationalism

By Howard Zinn
The Progressive, 05/16/05
http://www.progressive.org/june05/zinn0605.php

I cannot get out of my mind the recent news
photos of ordinary Americans sitting on
chairs, guns on laps, standing unofficial
guard on the Arizona border, to make sure no
Mexicans cross over into the United States.
There was something horrifying in the
realization that, in this twenty-first
century of what we call "civilization," we
have carved up what we claim is one world
into 200 artificially created entities we
call "nations" and armed to apprehend or
kill anyone who crosses a boundary.

Is not nationalism--that devotion to a flag,
an anthem, a boundary so fierce it engenders
mass murder--one of the great evils of our
time, along with racism, along with
religious hatred? These ways of
thinking--cultivated, nurtured,
indoctrinated from childhood on--have been
useful to those in power, and deadly for
those out of power.

National spirit can be benign in a country
that is small and lacking both in military
power and a hunger for expansion
(Switzerland, Norway, Costa Rica, and many
more). But in a nation like ours--huge,
possessing thousands of weapons of mass
destruction--what might have been harmless
pride becomes an arrogant nationalism
dangerous to others and to ourselves.

Our citizenry has been brought up to see our
nation as different from others, an
exception in the world, uniquely moral,
expanding into other lands in order to bring
civilization, liberty, democracy.

That self-deception started early. When the
first English settlers moved into Indian
land in Massachusetts Bay and were resisted,
the violence escalated into war with the
Pequot Indians. The killing of Indians was
seen as approved by God, the taking of land
as commanded by the Bible. The Puritans
cited one of the Psalms, which says: "Ask of
me, and I shall give thee, the heathen for
thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts
of the Earth for thy possession."

When the English set fire to a Pequot
village and massacred men, women, and
children, the Puritan theologian Cotton
Mather said: "It was supposed that no less
than 600 Pequot souls were brought down to
hell that day."

It was our "Manifest Destiny to overspread
the continent allotted by Providence," an
American journalist declared on the eve of
the Mexican War. After the invasion of
Mexico began, the New York Herald announced:
"We believe it is a part of our destiny to
civilize that beautiful country."

It was always supposedly for benign purposes
that our country went to war. We invaded
Cuba in 1898 to liberate the Cubans, and
went to war in the Philippines shortly
after, as President McKinley put it, "to
civilize and Christianize" the Filipino people.

As our armies were committing massacres in
the Philippines (at least 600,000 Filipinos
died in a few years of conflict), Elihu
Root, our Secretary of War, was saying: "The
American soldier is different from all other
soldiers of all other countries since the
war began. He is the advance guard of
liberty and justice, of law and order, and
of peace and happiness."

Nationalism is given a special virulence
when it is blessed by Providence. Today we
have a President, invading two countries in
four years, who believes he gets messages
from God.

Our culture is permeated by a Christian
fundamentalism as poisonous as that of
Cotton Mather. It permits the mass murder of
"the other" with the same confidence as it
accepts the death penalty for individuals
convicted of crimes. A Supreme Court
justice, Antonin Scalia, told an audience at
the University of Chicago Divinity School,
speaking of capital punishment: "For the
believing Christian, death is no big deal."

How many times have we heard Bush and
Rumsfeld talk to the troops in Iraq, victims
themselves, but also perpetrators of the
deaths of thousands of Iraqis, telling them
that if they die, if they return without
arms or legs, or blinded, it is for
"liberty," for "democracy"?

Nationalist super-patriotism is not confined
to Republicans. When Richard Hofstadter
analyzed American presidents in his book The
American Political Tradition, he found that
Democratic leaders as well as Republicans,
liberals as well as conservatives, invaded
other countries, sought to expand U.S. power
across the globe.

Liberal imperialists have been among the
most fervent of expansionists, more
effective in their claim to moral rectitude
precisely because they are liberal on issues
other than foreign policy. Theodore
Roosevelt, a lover of war, and an
enthusiastic supporter of the war in Spain
and the conquest of the Philippines, is
still seen as a Progressive because he
supported certain domestic reforms and was
concerned with the national environment.
Indeed, he ran as President on the
Progressive ticket in 1912.

Woodrow Wilson, a Democrat, was the epitome
of the liberal apologist for violent actions
abroad. In April of 1914, he ordered the
bombardment of the Mexican coast, and the
occupation of the city of Vera Cruz, in
retaliation for the arrest of several U.S.
sailors. He sent Marines into Haiti in 1915,
killing thousands of Haitians who resisted,
beginning a long military occupation of that
tiny country. He sent Marines to occupy the
Dominican Republic in 1916. And, after
running in 1916 on a platform of peace, he
brought the nation into the slaughter that
was taking place in Europe in World War I,
saying it was a war to "make the world safe
for democracy."

In our time, it was the liberal Bill Clinton
who sent bombers over Baghdad as soon as he
came into office, who first raised the
specter of "weapons of mass destruction" as
a justification for a series of bombing
attacks on Iraq. Liberals today criticize
George Bush's unilateralism. But it was
Clinton's Secretary of State, Madeleine
Albright, who told the United Nations
Security Council that the U.S. would act
"multilaterally when we can, unilaterally
when we must."

One of the effects of nationalist thinking
is a loss of a sense of proportion. The
killing of 2,300 people at Pearl Harbor
becomes the justification for killing
240,000 in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The
killing of 3,000 people on September 11
becomes the justification for killing tens
of thousands of people in Afghanistan and Iraq.

What makes our nation immune from the normal
standards of human decency?

Surely, we must renounce nationalism and all
its symbols: its flags, its pledges of
allegiance, its anthems, its insistence in
song that God must single out America to be
blessed.

We need to assert our allegiance to the
human race, and not to any one nation. We
need to refute the idea that our nation is
different from, morally superior to, the
other imperial powers of world history.

The poets and artists among us seem to have
a clearer understanding of the limits of
nationalism.

Langston Hughes (no wonder he was called
before the Committee on Un-American
Activities) addressed his country as follows:

You really haven't been a virgin for so long

It's ludicrous to keep up the pretext . . .

You've slept with all the big powers

In military uniforms

And you've taken the sweet life

Of all the little brown fellows . . .

Being one of the world's big vampires

Why don't you come out and say so

Like Japan, and England, and France

And all the other nymphomaniacs of power.

Henry David Thoreau, provoked by the war in
Mexico and the nationalist fervor it
produced, wrote: "Nations! What are nations?

. . . Like insects, they swarm. The
historian strives in vain to make them
memorable."

In our time, Kurt Vonnegut
(Cat's Cradle) places nations among those
unnatural abstractions he calls
granfalloons, which he defines as "a proud
and meaningless association of human beings."

There have always been men and women in this
country who have insisted that universal
standards of decent human conduct apply to
our nation as to others. That insistence
continues today and reaches out to people
all over the world. It lets them know, like
the balloons sent over the countryside by
the Paris Commune in 1871, that "our
interests are the same."