> That's fascinating, Curtis. I don't think many
> singing teachers deal with this sort of thing,
> do they? It almost sounds as though she's as much
> an acting teacher as a singing teacher.

The amazing thing about her is that she doesn't just take the usual
classical position that I am singing all wrong!  Most classically
trained (Peabody) teachers would want nothing to do with my nonsense.
  She really gets and appreciates how different blues style is from
classical, and only uses the purest techniques without messing with
the feel. She has changed my whole approach to songs and has made
singing so much more interesting and expressive for me.  Blues guys do
stuff out of emotion but rarely understand what they are doing so the
knowledge remains state bound.  One night it is magic, the next not so
much.  She is giving me the tools to be more consistent while not
making me a robot.  It is a fine line that kept me from seeking
singing lessons years ago.  I was afraid that training would kill
spontaneity, but have found that it just gives me a richer pallet to
draw from.

You are right about the acting connection. It is also a producer's
job.  She is producing my songs to get the most out of them. The more
subtle stuff about awareness may come from opera training also.  She
is a one in a million find for me that's for sure!

I'll have to do some research about what Crudup thought of Elvis.  I
have read he felt cheated out of money for it.  I know Big Mama
Thorton heard his version of Hound Dog too.  She was a character and a
half and played great harp. At the end of one of her tours, miles away
from home she announced to her band:

"Boys your gunna have to find your own way home cuz Mama done drank up
all the money!"