> On Jan 3, 2008, at 1:03 AM, bob_brigante wrote:
>

> > The Ayurvedic texts do talk about both onions and garlic as
> > therapeutic, but not as a regular part of a diet of one who
> > wants to expand awareness, for whom a sattvic diet is better
> > (sattva meaning transparent, sattvic foods promoting the
> > transparency of the individual mind to the infinite
> > consciouness):
> >
> > "The Vedas do not speak favorably of garlic as a food, however.
> > Foods in Ayurveda are classified as sattvic, rajasic, or tamasic.
> > Sattvic foods traditionally nourish and support health and
> > promote a clear, refined state of mind. Rajasic foods have an
> > unsettling influence, and tamasic foods have a dulling influence.
> > Both garlic and onions, as well as strong spices, are considered
> > rajasic and should be avoided by people desiring a harmonious
> > mind-body experience."
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/yu7zfm
>
> It sounds to me like you are confusing "the Vedas" with Ayurveda.
> "Ayurveda" is actually pre-Vedic. This is a common fallacy in the
> TMO.

To the extent that it can be called a "fallacy,"
it's "common" practically everywhere, not just
the TMO. But you knew that. (Bob's quote is from
a non-TMO book about garlic.)

And to the extent that Ayurveda is "pre-Vedic,"
any "confusion" on that point is irrelevant to
the issue being discussed (as is the rest of
your post).

<snip>