Yours is a wise older woman's perspective on sexual infidelity.  I doubt there
are too many young women in America who share it.  In France it's a slightly
different story.

----- Original Message ----
From: authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 6, 2008 8:58:52 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: What's with republican wives?

            --- In FairfieldLife@ yahoogroups. com, "boo_lives" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED] ..>

wrote:

> > > If I had to pick a candidate based on choice of

> > > spouse, I'd go with Hillary in a New York minute.

> > Count me in for that vote.

> You must be thinking politics.

Heh. Your criteria, at least for Michelle Obama, were

"naturally beautiful, smarter than anyone here, and

inspiringly spiritually. " Don't know about Ruth, but

those qualities are what I had in mind. I like Bill's

politics too, but that's a whole 'nother thing.

For me the choice of a spouse reveals

> your emotional/spiritual nature, your strengths and weaknesses

> in those areas.  I'm fine with Clinton's politics, but as a

> spouse he was constantly unfaithful, emotionally immature.  I

> think that's why Obama does so much better than Hillary getting

> votes of women under 30 - older or boomer women see Hillary as

> a model of feminist strength in her generation, but younger

> women look at how she's put up with Bill's philandering her whole

> life and see that as feminine weakness, no matter what her

> external accomplishments, a post-feminist movt awareness.

That perspective baffles me, actually. What I see is a

relationship so solid and profound and mutually

fulfilling that it is able to survive the philandering.

Seems to me Hillary has demonstrated rather extraordinary

strength in keeping it together, without making Bill so

miserable that he'd want to leave her to escape the guilt.

The ability to forgive isn't a weakness, for pete's sake!

She obviously values the relationship as a whole above mere

sexual faithfulness (which is a fine thing in and of itself,

but not the be-all and the end-all--I'm not entirely sure

a relationship that can be destroyed by sexual infidelity

was all that strong to begin with).

I'm not sure why one would expect her to throw away what

obviously means a tremendous amount to her just for the

sake of being self-righteous. Bill has gigantic flaws,

but also gigantic virtues.

Basically, outsiders can never be really sure what goes on

in a marriage. But a marriage that overcomes great

obstacles is surely a better one than a marriage that falls

apart when it encounters difficulties.

So for me it isn't just that Hillary picked a spouse who

is wildly attractive, *way* smarter than anybody here,

and deeply spiritually inspirational, it's how she's been

able to deal with the ups and downs of the relationship

that leads me to admire her greatly.

<!--

#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding:0 0;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
font-family:Arial;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;