<snip>

Me:
> > The words don't hide the lack of real intimacy, they reveal it.

Judy:
> I'm mystified by this comment, and by Peter's.
>
> What "conversation"? What "exchange"? "Lack
> of real intimacy" between who and who?
>
> I don't see an exchange here. I see an excerpt
> from MMY's address to everyone, a tribute to MMY
> from King Tony, and another excerpt from MMY's
> address to everyone, all read by Bevan.
>
> And even if it were an exchange, why would you
> expect "real intimacy" during a formal
> celebration? MMY always talks like this on such
> occasions, at least from what I've read of them.

That was what felt weird to me.  It was a "show" of personal intimacy.
 Read Tony's words.  Not the words of tribute to be shared with a
group.  But the show of how personally close he is to MMY.

King Tony speaking to his "lord":

> "With your grace, my Lord, my silence has been full.
> Please today do
> not wish us to experience its emptiness. I shall
> remain in it. But
> please do not take away from me the hope to be
> always able to open my
> eyes and say, 'Jai Guru Dev.' For other than to
> you, and under your
> guidance, to whom shall I speak?
>
> "Yes, of course, you say--and I know--you will be
> with me forever.
> And my task will be easy, keeping you company in
> silence. But why
> suddenly, today, I feel the need to speak, and the
> need to tell you
> again and again, and never lose the chance to be
> able to tell you
> again, how much I adore you.

This was not the language of formal celebrations which is equally
flowery and baroque. It was pseudo-personal for effect.  If it had
been said by his bedside it would be, as Peter pointed out, oddly
formal.  In the context of being read to the group, it was oddly
personal.

Now I am more than happy to admit that I am bringing more than a bit
of my own "stuff" to this table, so I am not suggesting that my take
is "the take" on this complex interaction.  I am a "fan" of sorts of
MMY, but I throughly despise Tony, from afar.

MMY always seems oddly elusive and intimate at the same time.  I
always hoped that in some context with him personally he would stop
doing the schtick, let down his persona and get real.  At a certain
point I realized that this was not an option for him, at least with
any group I was with when I was with him.  The little crumbs of
personal interaction that my Purusha friends would hang on seemed so
pathetic.  So at the end of his life I see his closest people, acting
out the same faux-personal interaction for the show of his passing.
It feels weird.  I guess that is the best way to describe how I feel
about it, weird.  Like eavesdropping on people with a bad case of
dissociative disorder attempting to express feelings.

So what is your take on Tony, Judy?  Do you have any feeling for the
guy?   I am open (yeah right!), I can appear open (if not pressed too
hard) to another POV on the guy.  But so far, when I read what he
says, I just want to throw the rug back on the rack and run out of the
store holding my wallet in my back pocket like I just got a butt full
of buckshot and need to high tail it outta there.