On Jan 25, 2008, at 6:22 AM, TurquoiseB wrote:

Me, I just find it interesting how MUCH of Shankara's
dick-size-contest mentality with regard to proving his
stuff "better" than Buddhism has permeated TM and MMY's
teaching. All very quietly.

But unfortunately research actually shows forms of Buddhist meditation superior. In fact while forms of Buddhist meditation are ubiquitous in hospitals and pain clinics now, TM has been largely discarded. I suspect what we're seeing here is a conversion mentality like seen in many fundamentalist religious groups. In this case they were probably able to convince people to try their "brand" using their highly questionable and simply bad research. It's an aspect of any religion or cult that I find really rather disturbing

As a humerous aside, when researchers were looking at the response of TMers to stress, instead of being less reactive--they actually found they were more reactive to stress--but when it comes to actually reporting it, they do not! Maybe that trait (reactivity combined with denial) is also what drives many of the fundie-style responses we see here on FFL rather routinely. Irregardless, there is repeated scientific evidence for this.