The Goethe poem is a favorite of mine; Schubert set it to music and
made it even more moving.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Here's a Buchenwald story for you.  When the Allies liberated
Buchenwald, it became part of the Russian gulag, and the Russian
occupation army filled it back up with prisoners under pretty much the
same horrible conditions that had tortured and killed so many Jews
there.  But this time the prisoners were not Jews, they were Germans,
and my aunt Maria did time there for nine years.

> The name, "Buchenwald" means "beech forest," and it had indeed been
a beech forest once upon a time when the great 19th century German
poet, Goethe, liked to take walks there.  The forest is mostly gone
now, but one centuries-old beech tree had survived, standing in the
middle of the courtyard at Buchenwald the prison, and it had a plaque
with one of Goethe's most famous poems engraved on it:

> Wanderer's Nachtlied
>
> Ueber allen Gipfeln
> Ist Ruh,
> In allen Wipfeln
> Spuerest du
> Kaum einen Hauch;
> Die Voegelein schweigen im Walde.
> Warte nur! Balde
> Ruhest du auch.
>
> The Wanderer's Night Song
>
> Above all mountain tops
> is peace,
> In all the tree tops
> you feel
> hardly a breath;
> birds are silent in their nests,
> But wait!  Soon
> you, too, shall rest.
>
> My aunt told me that this tree and its poem were of immeasurable
comfort to her and to the other prisoners at Buchenwald, but when the
prison guards learned of this, they cut it down.

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com