--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
> Obama may (probably will) change and became more politically
> pragmatic as he confronts whatever crisises his presidency will
> face; that's probably inevitable.  But my bet is that it will take
> longer; he'll be able to resist longer and more effectively.
> That's my impression of how he might play out, at least.

This is the problem I see with him: his pledge to
"put the politics of polarization and division
behind us."

It sounds so appealing. Who wouldn't want an end
to polarization and division?

But that's just dangerously politically naive.

We've had divided government for 40 years now,
and it obviously hasn't resulted in any kind of
bipartisan cooperation. We need *stronger*
partisanship--from the Democrats. We need branded
policies. We need to make our differences with
Republicans crystal clear. We need people to
understand the Republicans are not acting in
their best interests.

It's not *attitudes* that are causing the
polarization; it's economic inequality. Only
strong Democratic policies are going to address
that, obviously. The notion that the Republicans
are suddenly going to become meek and mild and
cooperative once Obama gets into office is just
nuts.

Another problem is that Obama attracts people
not because of his policies but because of his
charisma and idealism. That means his coalition
of support is fundamentally vulnerable to
fragmentation once the rubber starts hitting the
road and the interests of the various factions
begin to conflict.

There's more along these lines, but this is the
sort of thing I and a lot of others are concerned
about. It gets pretty deep into the political weeds,
so it's not easy to cover in a post.

There was a story in the Times yesterday about
Senate legislation Obama introduced requiring
nuclear power companies to notify those who live
in the vicinity of their plants when there was a
radioactive leak of any kind.

He wasn't able to stand up to the Republicans,
the power companies, and the nuclear regulators.
The legislation became more and more watered
down; it wound up meekly asking for voluntary
cooperation. And even then, it ultimately died
on the Senate floor.

But he boasted about having passed it to voters
in Iowa.

That's not very reassuring about his skills at
legislative infighting--nor, for that matter,
his veracity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/us/politics/03exelon.html?
scp=2&sq=radioactive&st=nyt

http://tinyurl.com/3dha5r

And finally, another thing that disturbs me is
that Obama's supporters on the various lefty blogs
are some of the nastiest I've ever encountered.
There's a fanatical quality to their comments that
is downright scary. It's pretty surprising,
considering their candidate supposedly stands for
civility, empathy, and cooperation.