--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, boyboy_8 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Life is too short to cherry pick quotes from OT?  Huh?  It depends on
> what interests you have.

You came to this group with a kvetch about TM based on arbitrary
pronouncements made in the OT.  It seems that if you are going to accept
one "core belief" than you should be bound to follow all the core
beliefs.  Otherwise you are making your own moral distinctions on which
of g-d's laws are moral and which are not.

On the other hand, if you understand the OT to be the work of men, then
you should understand it has shortcomings.  After a few thousand years
it has morphed through rewrites and additions.  When written it
certainly was subject to the social conditions of the people who wrote
it.  People who lived in fear of very difficult survival conditions.
This colored their accounts.

  My central core belief system is not Gita or
> Upanishads or any other Vedic/Hindu/Indian opus.  It's the OT; so, I
> refer to it over and over again.

Mine neither.  I find ancient texts interesting from a historical point
of view.  Aside from that they have little relevance in a world. The
ancients did not know about basic things we take for granted  effecting
on our ethical viewpoint.  Concepts like  human equality, human rights,
and individual freedom.  These do not work in the paternalistic tribal
world that brought us the five books of Moses.

> Lot did offer up his daughter, your memory is correct.  The angels
> that Abraham had come visit him were now in Sodom/Gomorrah and were
> outside Lot's door when a group of locals wanted to "get to know
> them".  Lot was horrified (the Rabbinic commentary says that they
> wanted to have their way with these strangers - sexually, if you can
> believe this!) and so Lot just brings them into this house and slams
> the door shut.  The locals won't go away, so Lot offers his daughter
> to them if they'd just leave the strangers alone. I do not understand
> a word of this part of Genesis.  So, I do not know what to say.
>
> It is true that the OT has many references to slavery between Hebrews.
>  Why it was allowed is hotly debated.  Working out your karma?
> Honestly, its a deep subject and I'm not sure this is the venue.

Its only one example I point out.  There are others.  I am making the
point that the rules imposed by the OT are so diverse and arcane that we
are forced to select what is for our "core belief" and what to throw
out.  We have to make our own moral distinction.  In other words, it
sells itself as "The Law of Moses" but in the end it is your existential
point of view that interprets the text.  Its the "Law of Fred".  I am
saying drop the pretense that it anything but the "Law of Fred".

> If the OT tells us how to live morally and we are to take it all in as
> a whole, then do you accept that in the Biblical days a Hebrew might
> end up as a slave to another Hebrew?  It's a tough one....

Fred, my lansman, its not so tough.  You know in your modern heart of
heart that slavery is really really a bad thing.  You know that since
the 17th century enlightenment we have risen above old testament fixed
dogma.  Human Rights and equality have their place in ethics based not
on g-d's pronouncements but rational understanding of what it means to
be a human living in relationship to other humans.

And don't get me started on our duty to the earth around us.  The
ancients really didn't get our connection to our environment.  The
mentality that we are somehow separate from nature, thrown out of the
garden, has gotten us into big trouble.

Fred, you got to really look at those "core beliefs".  Are you going to
fall in step with your interpretation of a fixed authority?  Or do you
take the other path, weighing evidence, open debate, observing, and
acting from an ethical standard through measured rationality?

s.