Thanks for the kind words.  The public defender was
not really a bad man. The system did not give him much
of a choice because of the prejudice of the community
that would have lynched my grandson just a generation
ago.  And to his credit, the lawyer recognized that
this boy is a really good young man (the goodness of
"conaturality") and honest, even when it goes against
him to tell the truth.  The boy and the lawyer both
understood the irony:  it was telling the truth that
got Aaron in trouble, and it took telling a lie in a
shameful plea-bargain that saved him from prison.  I
could see that this was not easy for the lawyer.  Yet,
they manipulated the situation so successfully that
fear of the alternative made his mother and his
attorney counsel the boy to tell the lie, while tying
my hands so I could say nothing--while all within me
was screaming, "Make them go to trial!"

I've promised Aaron I'd write his story.

=== message truncated ===