Hi there.  Comments are below.

Fred

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1. Divergent paths? Not all paths lead to the source
> of paths, the giver of paths? And there are only two
> paths?  I generalized to make a point.  The secular worlds take on
Biblical text analysis is worlds apart from Rabbinic exegisis.  I get
the impression that you've not done much reading of these here Rabbi's
I'm referring to.   A  great beginning is from a fantastic translation
of the OT into English by the late and very great Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan.
"The Living Torah"

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Torah-Translation-introduction-bibliography\
/dp/0940118726/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203631250&sr=1-12
<http://www.amazon.com/Living-Torah-Translation-introduction-bibliograph\
y/dp/0940118726/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203631250&sr=1-12>

> 2. In what way is Frye's path "secular?" What is  "secular" about
Frye, an ordained minister? Harold > Bloom is another kettle of fish, to
be sure.

As I indicated above their approach is literary and the Rabbi's is
religious.  They are just two different and divergent approaches.

> 3. Rabinic commentaries lead you to an understanding  better and
faster than a mind well-trained to read the  original and translations
into several different  languages? And this is so in spite of the fact
that  these commentaries are almost "impossible to grasp?"  Isn't
"grasping" the whole point of the exercise,  since grasping is union
with the light of  understanding? And if this understanding comes,
whether slow or instant, with difficult labor or with  easy flight, then
how was the path "secular" or in any  way inferior?

You wrote "Rabinic commentaries lead you to an understanding  better and
faster than a mind well-trained to read the  original and translations
into several different  languages?"
Think about what you just said.  Whose mind is well trained to read the
original? A Rabbi or a university professor of English? I'm not entirely
sure of your point.  These generations of Rabbi's understood the
original text and the translations into Aramaic (and way back in the
Talmudic times....translations into Greek and Latin) a whole bunch
better than anyone living today.   Today, for us in this generation,
some of those rabbinic commentaries are very hard to grasp, especially
the more mystical ones.   Grasping is part of the exercise.  If someone
arrives at a deeper level of understanding then it matters little in
which manner your approach was.  I highlighted the different approaches
and my view that the Rabbinic/religious approach was probably closer to
the inner essence.  The Rabbi's did not have a patent on learning or
insight.  They did hold a tradition of exegisis that predates the  Greek
and Roman Empires, so they have where to stand in terms of our respect.
Perhaps you forget how old the realms of Jewish intellectual
investigations are?  They go back to the exile in Babylonia (in terms of
the beginning of Rabbinic schools).  It is very old and very well
established.

  It is true that contemporary writers who really  understand the depth
of anagogic language are far and  few between. We do live in a
fundamentalist age.   Even so, have you read Frye's book on William
Blake?  Yes, it is wonderful and very deep.

  It is still the best guide yet produced on a writer  who is every bit
as much a prophet as any of the OT  writers.   Many academics think this
of Blake.  I do not hold that Blake was on the same level as the OT
prophets.

  But, as Blake says, "I give you the end of a  golden string--just wind
it up into a ball and it will  lead you in at heaven's gate." That it
seems to me  would be the point. The reader learns to do this with  the
words of a prophet rather than trying to grasp  something almost
impossible--another critic's way of  winding up that string.  I do not
think you quite follow what the role of a prophet or prophetess was in
the Jewish religion.  They were generally granted the grace of prophecy
for the sake of the whole nation.  Some bits and pieces of what they
gathered might have been quite mundane and pertaining to small scale
events.  The larger prophecies, the more familiar ones, were given to
help direct the nation towards repentance and correction of attitudes.
Some prophecies were couched in totally hidden allegories and metaphors
that perhaps described events in the far off future.  The words of
Daniel and Ezekiel are very strange and describe realities that are so
sublime that they appear as if these men had taken strong drugs.

Which is more direct?   It is also true that commentary such as you
describe  can indeed be instructive. But it is my experience in
teaching/writing/translating poetry to  students/writers/poets from
pre-school to grad school,  that children are better at understanding
metaphor  than are scholars. Take that simple poem in my last  post,
"Poem Written Dream-Side." In it, an old  wisteria tree is mentioned.
When I have taught this  poem in grad school, people needed a footnote
as to
> what sort of cultural symbol the wisteria tree is in  China. Eighth
graders figured it out all by
> themselves based on their reading of the text of the  poem itself. And
when they figured it out, that  figuring gave them the light of
understanding in  memorable "aha-experiences." They needed a footnote
for dragons and snakes, but not for "orioles." Have  those commentators
taught you to do as well as these  eighth graders, consulting only the
text of the  translation of this poem?     I'll give you the footnote
for "dragons" and "snakes."

> The Chinese dragon is a cultural symbol akin to the
> Thunderbird of Native Americans, the giant bird,
> Garuda of the Hindu pantheon. He is Mercury of the
> Roman gods and Hermes in Greek mythology. In the
> Christian imagination, the Archangel Michael serves as
> God's messenger, as the interface between the relative
> and the Absolute. The dragon is God's inspiration,
> and he is the creativity of Spring, of Spring rain,
> and of fertility. He is also the emperor and his
> nobility in seeking the pearl of wisdom.
>
> Snakes are a symbol of siddha power, especially the
> power to heal, as we can still guess in the staff of
> Mercury (Hermes) with its entwined serpents that still
> often decorates the offices of doctors and dentists.
>
> Now, given this information, and the text of Chin
> Kuan's poem, can you arrive at what the wisteria tree
> means in this poem?
> [snip]

It is so tempting to take writing such as the Psalms and see it ONLY as
poetry.  I view this as the surface level.  Sure on the surface the
works of King Solomon are sensual and very moving.  The poetry of his
father, King David is full of yearning for God and much more.  That's
all on the surface.  Harold Bloom and his ilk will take the words and
try to find out what the metaphors have to teach us in terms of moral
lessons and the like.  That is all valid.  The Rabbinic approach takes
the words and interweaves the interpretation with all of "Shas" (the
entire corpus of the OT - which means Written and Oral Torah and every
thing else considered part of the Holy Texts).  These men look to the
entire writings and the secular writers do not.

kind regards,

Fred